Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yasunari Sato <sa...@end.nk-exa.co.jp> on 2000/12/06 06:59:05 UTC

Form Authentication through Apache

It seems to work well that user authenticate
by form based authentication in stand alone tomcat service.
But when I integrate apache and tomcat, authentication doesn't work.
I ckecked that Servlets which does not require
authentication works well.

Is there a special configuration to enable
form based authentication on apache-tomcat
integrated environment?

My test environment:
WinNT, apache1.3, tomcat3.2b6

Thanks,

Yasunari Sato

Re: Form Authentication through Apache

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Yasunari Sato wrote:

> It seems to work well that user authenticate
> by form based authentication in stand alone tomcat service.
> But when I integrate apache and tomcat, authentication doesn't work.
> I ckecked that Servlets which does not require
> authentication works well.
>
> Is there a special configuration to enable
> form based authentication on apache-tomcat
> integrated environment?

The Apache connector does not know anything about what is in your web.xml file,
so it doesn't know about your security constraints that ask for authentication.
You will have to use standard Apache facilities to configure valid users.

In Tomcat 4.0, this will not be the case -- the web connector will be configured
from the contents of the web.xml file.

> My test environment:
> WinNT, apache1.3, tomcat3.2b6
>
> Thanks,