Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2004/01/21 01:00:06 UTC

Re: [net][vote]Steve Cohen to manage release of v1.2.0 of commons.net

In message <85...@brekke.org>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>I think any committer could be the release manager, +1.
>
>I haven't had time to look at the code changes deeply.  Based on what
>I've seen and what was discussed, I'm +0 on the release of 1.2.0, but
>I do think that a jdk 1.1 compatible version release at the same time,
>if not before 1.2.0, should be considered.

I'm in a real time bind right now and have not read all of the emails
related to Commons Net, although I've got them saved up for later
examination (I noticed Rory Winston submitted more NNTP enhancements;
we should discuss voting him as a committer after we get past the
immediate business).  If a vote is needed for a release manager, I
assumed my vote was implicit based on my earlier comments.  Here's an
explicit +1 for Steve to manage the release.  I haven't had time to
look at the most recent changes.  I was +1 on a 1.2 release to
acommodate Ant's release schedule based on the changes up to Steve's
take on resolving the VMS parser situation, even though I believed we'd
have to deprecate some of the stuff later.  I'd rather err on the side
of being user-driven and meeting user needs than insist on perfection.
However, additional changes were made that I haven't had time to examine
(Steve's refactoring) and I believe will require more time to discuss.
So if I have to vote right now I'm:
   +1 on a 1.2 release if we don't include those latest changes
   +0 if we do
I'm also +1 on the JDK 1.1 compatible 1.1.1 maintenance release.  I
think we've got three +1's on this one (scohen, jbrekke, dfs), so
all that's needed is to start a vote thread with a release plan
specifying the release criteria (i.e., remove JDK 1.1 incompatibilities
in the 1.1 release) cc'ed to the PMC and giving anyone an opportunity
to -1 it.

I tried to anticipate and qualify what I could since I'm lagging behind
on email and may not be able to respond in a timely manner over the
next week.

daniel

Re: [net][vote]Steve Cohen to manage release of v1.2.0 of commons.net

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
On Tuesday 20 January 2004 9:50 pm, Jeffrey D. Brekke wrote:

> Fair enough.  I'll dig in asap.  I say wait on the NNTP patches until
> after 1.2.0 since we all seem busy atm and should just focus on the
> current changes.  Rory's patch and bugs are first order business after
> that.

It might help if I EXPLAINED the most recent changes.  You can figure it out,
of course, but a roadmap might help you do so.

As I said earlier, FTPFileList and FTPFileIterator are deprecated instead of
FTPListParseEngine.  This object captures the initial list of entries into an
internal LinkedList, with the help of the parser which knows how to delimit
the entries.  But this list also contains non-entries, preliminary lines,
etc.  These were previously eliminated by the private method
FTPFileIterator.getFirstGoodEntry().  This functionality is now handled by
FTPFileEntryParserImpl.preParse(), which previously did nothing in the
default case.

preParse() is called at the end of FTPListParseEngine.readServerList().  Once
this method returns, this engine object has an internal list containing one
raw entry for every file in the server list.  This is the contract for
preParse(). In the VMS case duplicates have been removed.  In all cases,
preliminary junk has been removed.

It is now possible to iterate the list (simply, using standard java
iterators), either with getFiles() which gets them all or
getPrevious()/getNext() which perform the paged access.

Re: [net][vote]Steve Cohen to manage release of v1.2.0 of commons.net

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
[SNIPPED]

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.