Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by he...@unileon.es on 2008/09/01 22:54:07 UTC

FilterDispatcher cuts the filter chain even when no action exists...

Hi.

Doing some horrible hacks that do not deserve mentioning, i've come across
a FilterDispatcher behavior that i don't feel quite right...

I've searched the jira and the mail archives to a short extent, but found
nothing. I'm new to this list, so i don't know if this has been discussed
before.

FilterDispatcher delegates action execution to Dispatcher but, as stated
in ActionMapper javadocs, the guessed Action can be nonexistent. By the
time we enter into -dispatcher.serviceAction()-, the filter chain is lost.

If the ActionMapping refers to a nonexistent Action, Dispatcher resorts to
a -sendError(...SC_NOT_FOUND...)-. This, while not harmful, is not really
adhering to the Filter spirit (at least my view of it :P). IMO a filter
that can't cope with a request should continue the chain, not take over
it.

Matt Raible on 01-May-2008 pointed problems with *.html extension. While
not the same issue, i can imagine that i wouldn't be able to serve ".html
actions" and true html files that way. My issues involve
dir-listings/namespaces and empty extensions (localhost/archive is served
as an action while its a directory/namespace).

What do you think? Should i fill a jira issue?
Regards.

P.S. i swear i tried to be concise...