Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de> on 2008/05/01 22:15:38 UTC

How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Hi,
I'm new to Ivy and I would like to hear how I can use Ivy for publishing
my artifacts to archiva or artifactory ?

My ivysettings looks like:
<ivysettings>
   <settings defaultResolver="default"/>
   <resolvers>
     <ibiblio name="public" m2compatible="true"
root="http://localhost:8081/archiva/repository/internal/"/>
   </resolvers>
   <include url="${ivy.default.settings.dir}/ivysettings-shared.xml"/>
   <include url="${ivy.default.settings.dir}/ivysettings-local.xml"/>
   <include url="${ivy.default.settings.dir}/ivysettings-main-chain.xml"/>
   <include
url="${ivy.default.settings.dir}/ivysettings-default-chain.xml"/>
</ivysettings>

and my ant publish looks like:

<target name="publish">
	<ivy:makepom ivyfile="${basedir}/ivy.xml"
pomfile="${target.dir}/utility.pom" />
<ivy:publish artifactspattern="${target.dir}/[artifact].[ext]"
resolver="public" pubrevision="${ivy.revision}" status="release"
publishivy="false" overwrite="true"/>
</target>

When I try to publish my artifact then I'm getting an error: URL
repository is not able to put files for the moment. What can I do to get
this to work?

Regards,
Lasse

Re: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by Hans Dockter <ma...@dockter.biz>.
Hi Jason,

On Jun 17, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Jason Southern wrote:

> I've also been trying to determine how to publish ivy.xml and
> modules to
> Archiva using ivy:publish and found this thread. I read the posts from
> MarkMail and I didn't see any issue in JIRA directly related to webdav
> support. Will this be supported in Ivy 2.0?
>
> Giles mentions using Slide, although its a retired project. Has any
> investigated using the Jackrabbit WebDAV library to implement this?

Slide seems still the way to go. Have a look at:

http://pragmaticchris.blogspot.com/2007/11/java-webdav-clients.html

HttpClient 4.0 might have WebDav support in the future.

> I've
> used neither, but I am very interested in not having to switch out
> Archiva
> in my environment. Wanted to know the status before I go off an
> explore the
> feasibility of using this library to accomplish it. If no one else is
> working on it, I'm willing to prototype it and discuss how to roll
> it into
> the Ivy codebase.

You might have a look at Gradle's limited implementation (see my
earlier email):

http://svn.codehaus.org/gradle/gradle-core/trunk/src/main/groovy/org/
gradle/api/internal/dependencies/WebdavRepository.java
http://svn.codehaus.org/gradle/gradle-core/trunk/src/main/groovy/org/
gradle/api/internal/dependencies/WebdavResolver.java

Here is a Implementation of the WebDav Put method that seems to
contain all the necessary WebDav logic for implementing Ivy WebDav
support.

http://www.krugle.org/kse/codespaces/EGreCy

Full WebDav support in Ivy 2.0 would be awesome.

- Hans

> Jason
>

> hdockter wrote:

>>> I think it is implemented with Slide.
>>
>> For Gradle we have implemented a webdav resolver for Ivy as we need
>> one. But we need it only for uploading our distribution to a remote
>> directory. Therefore our resolver has no functionality for creating
>> remote dirs, which would be necessary for publishing normal libs. I
>> don't think it is much work to add this but I'm very busy with Gradle
>> right now.
>>
>> Is there another ivy-beta to come or do you plan for final release of
>> 2.0 soon?
>>
>> - Hans
>>

>>> - Hans

>>> --
>>> Hans Dockter
>>> Gradle Project lead
>>> http://www.gradle.org
>>>

>> --
>> Hans Dockter
>> Gradle Project lead
>> http://www.gradle.org

Hans Dockter
Gradle Project lead
http://www.gradle.org

Re: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by Jason Southern <ja...@4southern.com>.
I've also been trying to determine how to publish ivy.xml and modules to
Archiva using ivy:publish and found this thread. I read the posts from
MarkMail and I didn't see any issue in JIRA directly related to webdav
support. Will this be supported in Ivy 2.0?

Giles mentions using Slide, although its a retired project. Has any
investigated using the Jackrabbit WebDAV library to implement this? I've

Posted by Hans Dockter <ma...@dockter.biz>.

--
Hans Dockter
Gradle Project lead

Re: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by Hans Dockter <ma...@dockter.biz>.

--
Hans Dockter
Gradle Project lead

Re: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

--
Gilles Scokart

RE: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com>.

Also, Archiva is very strict about enforcing Maven's layout convention,
so if your artifact file name doesn't contain your module name, you're
out of luck.  It cannot be browsed and it will not generate Maven
metadata.   Why do you care about Maven metadata?  Because Archiva won't
allow directory listing, which Ivy needs to determine the available
revisions.  Furthermore, Archiva seems only to want to expose artifacts
of type *.jar, *.pom, and maven-metadata.xml.   Furthermore, if you're
publishing artifacts directly to the filesystem with Archiva, sometimes
they simply won't get indexed at all.

I spent several frustrating weeks month trying to make Archiva function
in a way suitable to my needs.  My conclusion re Archiva, stated in the
most diplomatic possible way, is that Archiva and Maven are a good fit
for one another.   Regarding artifact proxies in general, and fancy
web-based repository managers, these are a nice convenience but really
give no business value over using a straight NFS or SMB file share.
Your needs may vary, of course.

Re: How to use Ivy to publish artifacts to archiva or arifactory?

Posted by Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de>.
Ok, I got it working. My problem was that my pattern (G:/Archiva
Repository/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact].[ext]) was not compatible with archiva. With
G:/Archiva Repository/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext] it works just fine.

All I have to do now is to use an ibiblio resolver for retrieving my dependencies and another one for publishing my
artifacts via filesystem. I think that should be it (for now).

Posted by Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de>.
> Archiva scans the repository periodically, so files directly dropped
> into its directories won't get picked up right away. You may have to
> wait for... however long it is configured in your installation. 8-)
>
> Also you could try the "Scan Repository Now" button to start an
> immediate scan. I know it's not automatic, but you can test if the
> publishing is successful.

Yeah, I am aware of that and I already tried it, but that don't seem to work either. When I am searching for my jar
"utility" it is found and Archiva shows me a link /com\knudsen\utility\1.0\utility.pom that points to
http://localhost:8081/archiva/repository/internal/com%5Cknudsen%5Cutility%5C1.0%5Cutility.pom and shows a "Error 404 Not
Found" with the message: The following resource does not exist:
http://localhost:8081/repository//com\knudsen\utility\1.0\utility.pom

org.apache.maven.archiva.repository.layout.LayoutException: Not a valid request path layout, too short.

That seems strange to me. Any suggestions? :-) Here is my generated POM (generated by Ivy Task makepom) by the way:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
    Apache Maven 2 POM generated by Apache Ivy
    http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
    Apache Ivy version: 2.0.0-beta2 20080225093827
-->
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>com.knudsen</groupId>
   <artifactId>utility</artifactId>
   <packaging>jar</packaging>
   <version>1.0</version>
   <dependencies>
     <dependency>
       <groupId>commons-lang</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-lang</artifactId>
       <version>2.3</version>
       <optional>true</optional>
     </dependency>
   </dependencies>
</project>

Any suggestions what I am missing here?

Posted by Jing Xue <ji...@digizenstudio.com>.
On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 12:07:28PM +0200, Lasse Knudsen wrote:
> With actual path do you mean like G:\Archiva\data\repositories\internal\?
> I tried that with sftp and filesystem.

Yes. In general, it needs to be whatever target path you would use when
you manually perform the file copy operation.

> With the filesystem it seems to
> work fine but archiva do not get it correctly. First the published jar
> can not be browsed and  when you use the find the link to the jar is
> wrong and an 404 error occurs because the path is linked to
> http://localhost:8081/repository//com/knudsen/utility/1.0/utility.pom
> that is not existing.

Archiva scans the repository periodically, so files directly dropped
into its directories won't get picked up right away. You may have to
wait for... however long it is configured in your installation. 8-)

Also you could try the "Scan Repository Now" button to start an
immediate scan. I know it's not automatic, but you can test if the
publishing is successful.

Cheers
--
Jing

Posted by Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de>.
  > Is this where your repository actually is in the _underlying_ file
> system?  You'll want to use the actual path to sftp or scp, not the url
> archiva exposes.

With actual path do you mean like G:\Archiva\data\repositories\internal\? I tried that with sftp and filesystem. With
http://localhost:8081/repository//com/knudsen/utility/1.0/utility.pom that is not existing. So I am new to this maybe I

Posted by Jing Xue <ji...@digizenstudio.com>.

Posted by Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Jing Xue <ji...@digizenstudio.com>.
Quoting Lasse Knudsen <la...@t-online.de>:

> When I try to publish my artifact then I'm getting an error: URL
> repository is not able to put files for the moment. What can I do to
> get this to work?

At least with archiva, you could deploy it also (other than webdav)
with ssh or scp. It'll get picked up by the server during the next
scan. See:
http://archiva.apache.org/docs/1.0.2/userguide/deploy.html

HTH.
--