Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/24 00:24:04 UTC

Re: [POLL] drop point 12 [WAS Re: [PROPOSAL] subproject that's a home for bricks reusable in java web applications]

On 6/23/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Don't know what kind of goo 12 would result in or who would use such a
> > thing ;-)
>
> this has proved impractical in the jakarta commons. i propose we drop
> point 12.
>
> - robert
>
> --8<-----------------------------------------------------------
> [ ] +1 Get rid!
> [ ] -1 Keep it (please give a reason...)

+1 (non-binding)

I think each "component" (i.e. bullet in the examples in the Preamble)
should be at the liberty to decide how they get packaged/distributed.
For example, servlets and filters (two components) may choose to have
one library, but one component, Taglibs (again, if it joins), may have
multiple jars (as it does today). I think removing 12 rightfully
delays these decisions :-)

On 6/23/05, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> I mention that because depending on what #12 really is talking about,
> that could conflict with that idea.  I'm not sure.

I think the implication of 12 conflicts your view.

-Rahul