Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sangroya <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 11:12:15 UTC

measure the time taken to complete map and reduce phase

Hi,

I am trying to monitor the time to complete a map phase and reduce
phase in hadoop. Is there any way to measure the time taken to
complete map and reduce phase in a cluster.

Thanks,
Amit

Re: measure the time taken to complete map and reduce phase

Posted by Bharath Mundlapudi <bh...@yahoo.com>.
Short answer: Job History Logs(JHL).
Long answer: JHL stores all the meta information related to jobs which were executed like Job start/finish, Task start/finish, TaskAttempt start/finish.

Job.Map_Phase = Function ( Job.Map(first).StartTime, Job.Map(last).FinishTime)
Job.Reduce_Phase = Function ( Job.Reduce(first).StartTime, Job.Reduce(last).FinishTime)

-Bharath

________________________________

Posted by "real great.." <gr...@gmail.com>.
hey,amit
it comes in the web interface too..

On 7/5/11, Alberto Andreotti <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> I think you can just measure how much it takes to complete the job. I mean,
> from submission until it's done. This would require just regular Java calls.
>
> Alberto.
>
> On 4 July 2011 06:12, sangroya <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to monitor the time to complete a map phase and reduce
>> phase in hadoop. Is there any way to measure the time taken to
>> complete map and reduce phase in a cluster.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Amit
>>
>> --

> José Pablo Alberto Andreotti.
> Tel: 54 351 4730292
> Móvil: 54351156526363.
> MSN: albertoandreotti@gmail.com
> Skype: andreottialberto

R.V.

Re: measure the time taken to complete map and reduce phase

Posted by Alberto Andreotti <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amit,

Posted by madhu phatak <ph...@gmail.com>.
The console will tell how much time taken by job

Re: Re: measure the time taken to complete map and reduce phase

Posted by sangroya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the response!

I have the following queries regarding the Job History file.

I want to know if what the TOTAL_MAPS in the Job history represents.

Also, if FINISHED_MAPS represents the TOTAL_MAPS or the (TOTAL_MAPS -
FAILED_MAPS).

Does FINISHED_MAPS represents successfully executed maps.

I have the same question for REDUCE tasks.

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Re: Re: measure the time taken to complete map and reduce phase

Posted by "hailong.yang1115" <ha...@gmail.com>.
I think the TOTAL_MAPS has the same meaning with the FINISHED_MAPS, which represents the total number of map tasks successfully executed. Although there is another metric named Launched_map_tasks, which is the sum of  FINISHED_MAPS, FAILED_MAPS and KILLED_MAPS.

And it is the same for Reduce tasks.

Cheer!

Hailong

2011-07-08