Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ricardo Trindade <Ri...@myrealbox.com> on 2002/06/17 18:38:38 UTC

cocoon portals

Hi,

	I'm wondering what's the relation of the cocoon portal demos and the apache
jetspeed project ?
	Can jetspeed work with cocoon ?

thanks
Ricardo

RE: cocoon portals

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

You can implement a portal in either Cocoon or Jetspeed and if you are a
heavy XML user then I recommend Cocoon. If you don't use XML much (except
for RSS/RDF files) then I recommend Jetspeed.
<<
The Cocoon portal compontents provide the basic functionality of a portal -
and allow extension due to the fact that the portal is completely integrated
into Cocoon and built on XML.

Look here for more information:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103021/stories/2002/02/14/cocoonPortalFirstLook.ht
ml

And here for a link to a Powerpoint presentation on the Cocoon portal:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103021/2002/05/17.html#a184

Try out the demo portal in Cocoon and let us know if you are missing
anything :-).

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de

Re: cocoon portals

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 17:38 17/06/2002, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>         I'm wondering what's the relation of the cocoon portal demos and
> the apache
>jetspeed project ?
>         Can jetspeed work with cocoon ?

No one has answered yet so I'll have a go.

Jetspeed is based upon the Turbine library which has been around a long
time. It pre-dated Cocoon 2 at least.

You can implement a portal in either Cocoon or Jetspeed and if you are a
heavy XML user then I recommend Cocoon. If you don't use XML much (except
for RSS/RDF files) then I recommend Jetspeed.

Of course you may already be an expert in Cocoon and want to use that no
matter what.

Jetspeed has the capability to incorporate "portlets" into a user's screen.
These can include velocity templates, JSP, XSLT processed XML, and more. In
theory there was at some point some code to incorporate Cocoon as one of
the portlets that you could use. However I believe this is broken and no
one uses it.

There is an alternative to using Cocoon as a portlet in Jetspeed. You could
(in theory) use the WebpagePortlet which basically displays another website
within a portlet. Whether this is a good idea or not is up to the reader. I
haven't seen an example of this so I am not sure how good it is.

For the record, yes, I use both Jetspeed and Cocoon.... see

http://www.diversebooks.com:8090/jetspeed/index.jsp
and
http://news.diversebooks.com/draft/cocoon/reviews/titles/home.section.shtml

Perhaps this would be an appropriate time to mention that I am looking for
Cocoon people to help build an amateur  DVD reviews website.
No? Ok I'll post separately instead of changing the subject.

Alex

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London: Software For Complex Websites
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Free Consultancy for London Companies thinking of Open Source Software.