Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by tr...@thinkvirtual.com on 2001/05/11 07:00:36 UTC

Joining this list...

Just thought i'd let someone know, but when you reply with the big long request email:

To confirm that you would like

  travis@thinkvirtual.com

added to the james-user mailing list, please send
an empty reply to this address:

  james-user-sc.989371958.cdiddocfcokmpoipcojp-travis=thinkvirtual.com@jakarta.apache.org

Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
the "To:" field of a new message.

It doesn't subscribe you.  I tried several times and then tried the other way:

Some mail programs are broken and cannot handle long addresses. If you
cannot reply to this request, instead send a message to
<ja...@jakarta.apache.org> and put the
entire address listed above into the "Subject:" line.

And I'm pretty sure it's not to do with the long address thing, because I've joined other lists before that have similar things.

Travis Reeder
Chief Software Architect
ThinkVirtual

Request help setting up LDAP

Posted by sbelt <sb...@velos.com>.
I confess that I am new to LDAP, so I hope my questions here are not too
irk'ing.

I have setup an OpenLDAP server specifically for playing with James. My root
is dc=faq, dc=velosmed, dc=com. I have created an organizationalUnit
ou=employees off of the root dn. I would like to put all my James accounts
in this node.

To get started, I have created a few organizationalPerson objects with sn,
cn, and x121Address attributes (the last of which stores the email address).
I don't know if I can use these accounts, but its just something I tried.

Now, as I said, this server is just for James, so I am willing to recreate
the structure if needed: the onsite documentation, however, is not clear to
me. For example, am I suppose to create a node called  LocalUsers, or will
James create it for me using the James.conf settings? If I must create it
myself, what objectclass will let me specify "cn" and "member" attributes?
assuming my structure above, are all the james accounts simply maintained as
attributes? Because LDAP is suppose to be shared by different systems, how
do I add aditional attributes for user accounts?

Sorry for such elementary questions. I want to learn LDAP, and because I had
such good luck with James, I thought I would use it as my testbed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve B.

PS - I currently get the following error when James loads

2001.05.10 11:50:44 448 Channel default opened
Problem with child nodes [LDAP: error code 34 - invalid DN]
javax.naming.InvalidNameException: [LDAP: error code 34 - invalid DN];
remaining
 name 'cn=LocalUsers'
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.ensureOpen(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_createSubcontext(Unknown Source)
        at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_createSubcontext(Unkno
wn Source)
        at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.createSubcontext(
Unknown Source)
        at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.createSubcontext(
Unknown Source)
        at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.createSubcontext(Unknown
Sou
rce)