Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Amit Joshi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/18 13:03:47 UTC

[Spark Structured Streaming] Processing the data path coming from kafka.

Hi ,

I have a use case where the file path of the json records stored in s3 are
coming as a kafka
message in kafka. I have to process the data using spark structured
streaming.

The design which I thought is as follows:
1. In kafka Spark structures streaming, read the message containing the
data path.
2. Collect the message record in driver. (Messages are small in sizes)
3. Create the dataframe from the datalocation.

kafkaDf.select($"value".cast(StringType))
  .writeStream.foreachBatch((batchDf:DataFrame, batchId:Long) =>  {

//rough code

//collec to driver

val records = batchDf.collect()

//create dataframe and process
records foreach((rec: Row) =>{
  println("records:######################",rec.toString())
  val path = rec.getAs[String]("data_path")

  val dfToProcess =spark.read.json(path)

})

}

I would like to know the views, if this approach is fine? Specifically
if there is some problem with

with creating the dataframe after calling collect.

If there is any better approach, please let know the same.

Regards

Amit Joshi

RE: [Spark Structured Streaming] Processing the data path coming from kafka.

Posted by Boris Litvak <bo...@skf.com>.
There you go:

@udf(returnType=ArrayType(StringType()))
def reader_udf(filename: str) -> List[str]:
    with open(filename, "r") as f:
        return f.read().split('\n')

def run_locally():
    with utils.build_spark_session("Local", local=True) as spark:
        df = spark.readStream.csv(r'testdata', schema=StructType([StructField('filename', StringType(), True)]))
        df = df.withColumn('content', reader_udf(col('filename')))
        q = df.select(explode('content')).writeStream.queryName('test').format('console')\
            .option('truncate', False).start()
        q.awaitTermination()

Posted by Brian Wylie <br...@gmail.com>.
Coming in late.. but if I understand correctly, you can simply use the fact
that spark.read (or readStream) will also accept a directory argument. If
you provide a directory spark will automagically pull in all the files in
that directory.

"""Reading in multiple files example"""
spark = SparkSession.builder.master('local[*]').appName('spark_streaming').getOrCreate()

# Schema for incoming data
json_schema = StructType([StructField("username", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("name", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("sex", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("address", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("mail", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("birthdate", DateType(), True),
                          StructField("work", StringType(), True),
                          StructField("salary", IntegerType(), True),
                          StructField("timestamp", TimestampType(), True)])

# Read in a bunch of data files (files are in JSON per line
format)data_directory_path = './data/my_directory'

# Create a Spark DF with a bunch of files
spark_df = spark.read.schema(json_schema).json(data_directory_path)

Posted by Amit Joshi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris,

Posted by Amit Joshi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris,