Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com> on 2005/04/12 18:06:55 UTC

fsfs and user permissions

hi,

i read the handbook, but i still have a question about user permissions
with svn. the handbook states that all users need read/write access to
the repository even for read-only access, but those sections which say
that seem to be written with berkely DB-backed repositories in mind.
here's what i did (linux):

1. svnadmin create repos --fs-type fsfs   #umask is 022
2. groupadd projects
3. chgrp -R projects repos/db/
4. chmod -R g+w repos/db/

i have tested this configuration, and it seems to allow read access to
linux system users who are not in the 'projects' group and read/write to
those users who are (using svn+ssh to log in).

my question is, does this actually work, or is there a problem that i
haven't run into yet? if this does work, it seems like a great way to
allow users write access to repositories on a case-by-case basis. maybe
the book should be updated to show this approach (assuming it works)?

thanks,
alvin

p.s. - i'm sending this to 'dev' instead of 'users' because i assume the
answer requires knowlege of how the fsfs back end works. please forward
if this is not the case.

Re: fsfs and user permissions

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com> writes:
> kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Plenty of users have that knowledge -- a question like this should go
> > to users@, since it's not about Subversion development.
>
> i was just trying show that i considered sending to users before i
> sent here, so i wouldn't get flamed. ;)

We don't flame based on what you think, but on what you do :-).

(But don't worry, you're not going to get flamed anyway.)

> the reason i asked here is because i want more of an 'authoritative'
> answer than an 'anecdotal' one. anecdotally (is that a word?), i
> already know this approach works and i expect i'd get the same answer
> in the user list, since there have been wiki's/web pages describing
> this process.
>
> however, the 'dev' list (i assume) would have more knowledge of issues
> that affect actual operation. for example, i remember there was a bug
> in 1.2 where if the 'db/format' file was outdated or missing, *all*
> operations would attempt to write to the repository and thereby break
> things if the repository were read-only. i'm not sure that most users
> are aware of this kind of technical stuff, so i ask here.
>
> to use a (bad) metaphor, every crow i've ever seen is black. while i
> could probably safely assume that *all* crows are black, i'd feel a
> lot better logically or scientifically proving it, if something
> important (like my code) depended on it.
>
> so i probably should have worded my question to say, "is anyone aware
> of any issues that would prevent things from working this way?"

The dev@ list is for development discussion.  It's not simply the next
level of support escalation after users@.

When we forward threads from users@ to here, we do it because we think
the thread has potential to reveal a bug we need to know about, or for
some other reason that will contribute to Subversion's development.
If the user happens to get helped as a result of that, that's a nice
side effect, but it's not what the dev@ list is for.

Hope this clarifies,
-Karl

Re: fsfs and user permissions

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Plenty of users have that knowledge -- a question like this should go
> to users@, since it's not about Subversion development.

i was just trying show that i considered sending to users before i sent
here, so i wouldn't get flamed. ;)

the reason i asked here is because i want more of an 'authoritative'
answer than an 'anecdotal' one. anecdotally (is that a word?), i already
know this approach works and i expect i'd get the same answer in the
user list, since there have been wiki's/web pages describing this process.

however, the 'dev' list (i assume) would have more knowledge of issues
that affect actual operation. for example, i remember there was a bug in
1.2 where if the 'db/format' file was outdated or missing, *all*
operations would attempt to write to the repository and thereby break
things if the repository were read-only. i'm not sure that most users
are aware of this kind of technical stuff, so i ask here.

to use a (bad) metaphor, every crow i've ever seen is black. while i
could probably safely assume that *all* crows are black, i'd feel a lot
better logically or scientifically proving it, if something important
(like my code) depended on it.

so i probably should have worded my question to say, "is anyone aware of
any issues that would prevent things from working this way?"

Re: fsfs and user permissions

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com> writes:
> p.s. - i'm sending this to 'dev' instead of 'users' because i assume
> the answer requires knowlege of how the fsfs back end works. please
> forward if this is not the case.

Plenty of users have that knowledge -- a question like this should go
to users@, since it's not about Subversion development.

Can you send it there, so the thread starts with you?

-Karl

Re: fsfs and user permissions

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com> writes:
> Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> > http://monsters.rsn.uni-rostock.de./~darix/site/svn/permissions
> > hope this helps,
>
> yup, it did, thanks. it confirms that my approach for allowing write
> permissions to the repository should work. but what about the other
> case, where you want to allow read-only access to people outside the
> group? the page doesn't seem to address that. will setting the
> repository as read-only for those users work? the book says it won't
> work for DB back ends, but what about fsfs? it's obvious that write
> operations will fail, which is what i want. but will all non-writing
> operations work properly? or is there some issue which i'm not aware
> of?

Please stop CC'ing the dev@ list on this thread.

Thank you,
-Karl

Re: fsfs and user permissions

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/