Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2016/11/23 20:08:08 UTC

In-Memory SQL Grid

Community,

Frankly speaking, Ignite’s SQL support goes far beyond the notion of Data Grid starting from Apache Ignite 1.8.
SQL in Ignite is no longer about distributed ANSI-99 SELECT queries only.

It will be about the ability to connect to an Ignite Cluster not only from Java, .NET and C++ sides, that have their own SQL APIs, but, in general, from your favorite programming language or analytical tool by the usage of Ignite’s JDBC and ODBC drivers.

Even after you’re connected to the cluster from JDBC or ODBC side you’re no longer limited by distributed SQL queries. You can freely and easily modify the data with INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements thanks to comprehensive DML supported contributed by Alexander Paschenko in version 1.8.  To prove this, Igor Sapego issued a guide <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/pdo-interoperability> on how to start working with an Ignite cluster from PHP side which doesn’t have its own API implementation on Ignite side.

At all, all this means that SQL features set deserved its own component which I propose to call In-Memory SQL Grid to conform the naming of the rest of big components like Data Grid, Compute Grid, Service Grid.

I’ve already started reworking our documentation and will spend some time by enriching and expanding it. However, this is a starting point:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid>

Feel free to share your thoughts regarding the naming or content of the doc in general.

—
Denis

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid

Re: In-Memory SQL Grid

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Igniters,

I’ve finished reworking, enhancing and expanding our SQL Grid documentation preparing it to 1.8 release.

If you recall, before it was a single page documentation and now it’s a big section that contains, I hope, all the valuable knowledge we can share with Ignite users. Just open the main page (https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid>) and see what we have there. The only thing that is still missing is a “Distributed DML” documentation that will be made public once 1.8 gets released.

Sergi and other SQL committers & contributes I would encourage you looking over the changed documentation and provide or alter it if I’m wrong somewhere.

—
Denis

Re: In-Memory SQL Grid

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.