Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Young, Darren" <Da...@ChicagoGSB.edu> on 2005/01/19 21:58:56 UTC

Problem on RedHat Enterprise 3.0

I have a RedHat Enterprise 3.0 system that doesn't seem to want to work. The same procedure I followed worked on another system (RHEL 3.0) but isn't on this one.

I have the stock Apache 2.0.46 rpm installed and a pretty generic httpd.conf file, at least, it's generic in the fact that it's right from the RPM with few chanegs.

The RH Perl 5.8.0 rpm is installed and perl works fine for regular scripts and cgi's. I installed their (RedHat) mod_perl rpm (1.99_09) which adds the file /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf that's included by the main httpd.conf.

I added the following for /perl-status as a test:

<Location /perl-status>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlResponseHandler Apache::Status
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Deny from none
</Location>

The browser gets a 500 page and the apache error log has this in it:

[Wed Jan 19 14:34:18 2005] [error] [client 67.184.77.67] Can't locate object method "print" via package "Apache::RequestRec" at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Status.pm line 144.!

Tried uninstalling the mod_perl rpm and reinstalling it. Same thing. Some other RPM or perl module I'm missing? Maybe I had another required module already installed on the other system I have working.

Oh, and the server signature says:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren Young
University of Chicago
Graduate School of Business

Re: Problem on RedHat Enterprise 3.0

Posted by Jay Scherrer <ja...@scherrer.com>.
Instead of mv'ing your Apache lib, couldn't you not include it  and
just stipulate the libs you want to use in the startup.pl script?

Jay Scherrer

Posted by Jay Scherrer <ja...@scherrer.com>.
Darren Young,

Posted by Todd Grimason <to...@slack.net>.
* Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> [2005-01-19 21:14]:
> Young, Darren wrote:
> > I installed their (RedHat) mod_perl rpm (1.99_09)
>
> I understand that you're trying to stick with your vendor's packaging
> system, but that's a really old version of mod_perl 2.  It was released
> about two years ago, and there have been two years worth of bug fixes

I just tried fighting this battle recently, in the end deciding to
just run a custom apache1.3/mp1, with the perhaps overly-optimistic
plan of hoping RedHat releases a newer MP2 (after release) which I can
then install (in parallel) with RPMs (I installed MP1 in /usr/local).

> > [Wed Jan 19 14:34:18 2005] [error] [client 67.184.77.67] Can't locate
> > object method "print" via package "Apache::RequestRec" at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Status.pm
> > line 144.!

I wish I had kept notes - I hit the same problem - I believe it's as
Perrin mentioned, it's an older version of Apache::Status. I'm vaguely
thinking I altered startup.pl and added

use Apache2;
use Apache::compat;

which I *think* did the trick. But then I hit other confusing issues
trying to figure out what the status of everything was - libapreq,
whether or not Apache::DBI was fully working, etc., and didn't have
time to test everything enough myself so I fell back to MP1.

I found it difficult to find comprehensive, updated instructions for
handling a move from MP1 to MP2. I'd guess once MP2's released all
that will catch up, but at this point I basically chickened out.

Good luck! (and of course I hope people will point out any errors in
my advice to you...)

-Todd

--

______________________________
toddgrimason*todd-AT-slack.net

Re: Problem on RedHat Enterprise 3.0

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Young, Darren wrote:
> I installed their (RedHat) mod_perl rpm (1.99_09)

I understand that you're trying to stick with your vendor's packaging
system, but that's a really old version of mod_perl 2.  It was released
about two years ago, and there have been two years worth of bug fixes
since then.  It's hard for the people on the list to effectively support
users who are running what is essentially an alpha version of mod_perl
2.  Please consider building your own RPM of the most recent version, or
bugging Red Hat to package something more up-to-date.