Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> on 2009/07/22 18:21:57 UTC

[all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

James Carman a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The POM needs to specify the encoding.
>
> Perhaps we need to put this in the parent?  Can we just use UTF-8 or something?

Allow me to jump here and ask a more general question.
The default encoding in the parent pom is iso-8601 (aka iso-latin 1) for
 java files and I don't think it is set to anything for other files types.
This encoding is almost obsolete now that UTF-8 is the mainstream for
many different OS types and is the default for Java compilers if not
specified.
Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
source files to UTF-8 ?

Luc

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Cyril Briquet <cy...@canopeer.org>.

> >> Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
> >> source files to UTF-8 ?

+1

Also in [math] it would be interesting to use some symbols and some
> greek characters in javadoc and have them both readable when editing the
> file and converted automatically into html whene generating javadoc. For
> now, we use the html 4.0 entities for that and it is barely readable. As
> an example, compare the following source and generated javadoc.

+1

Apparently, the generated Javadoc is encoded by default with yet another
legacy charset:

<!-- Generated by javadoc (build 1.6.0_13) on Sun Aug 02 15:34:31 EDT 2009 -->
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

Useful flags to enable the use of UTF-8 math/greek sympbols in the [math]
Javadoc are described here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javadoc.html#charset

Cyril Briquet

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :
> Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>
>> Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
>> source files to UTF-8 ?
>
> +1, but does it really matter in Commons where the source files are in
> english anyway?

This one is not in english and the unicode escapes are used in the
literal strings:
http://commons.apache.org/math/xref/org/apache/commons/math/MessagesResources_fr.html

Also in [math] it would be interesting to use some symbols and some
greek characters in javadoc and have them both readable when editing the
file and converted automatically into html whene generating javadoc. For
now, we use the html 4.0 entities for that and it is barely readable. As
an example, compare the following source and generated javadoc.

http://commons.apache.org/math/xref/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/fitting/HarmonicCoefficientsGuesser.html
http://commons.apache.org/math/api-2.0/org/apache/commons/math/optimization/fitting/HarmonicCoefficientsGuesser.html

Luc

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.