Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by KM <in...@yahoo.com> on 2011/04/01 14:45:04 UTC

RE: Advice on upgrading svn and moving to new server

Thanks I think.   Not sure it helps with my original question.       ... which i am sure i'll figure out by trial and error.

Whether to updgrade to solaris 10 w/new server, install newer svn and dependent packages and then copy reppos from old server - dump it and load it.        Or do I need to install and upgraded svn and repos on old server  then copy to new server - etc -

Since i am only at 1.4.3 on solais 8 and I want to be on Solaris 10 with svn 1.6.x I just wasn't sure how easy or difficult it all would be, and what the order of the tasks should be to make it the least effort and most efficient upgrade.

Just wanted some advice about the easiest way to accomplish my task.  Thx a bunch.
KM
Posted by David Chapman <dc...@acm.org>.
On 4/1/2011 5:45 AM, KM wrote:

> Thanks I think.   Not sure it helps with my original question.
> ... which i am sure i'll figure out by trial and error.
> Whether to updgrade to solaris 10 w/new server, install newer svn and
> dependent packages and then copy reppos from old server - dump it and
> load it.        Or do I need to install and upgraded svn and repos on
> old server  then copy to new server - etc -
> Since i am only at 1.4.3 on solais 8 and I want to be on Solaris 10
> with svn 1.6.x I just wasn't sure how easy or difficult it all would
> be, and what the order of the tasks should be to make it the least
> effort and most efficient upgrade.
> Just wanted some advice about the easiest way to accomplish my task.
> Thx a bunch.
> KM

The ideal procedure is to upgrade the operating system and Subversion on
a second machine, dump the repository on the old machine and load it on
the new machine, then verify that it all works while the original
machine is still available to the developers.  Then take the original
machine offline and dump/load the repository one more time.  This way
the repository is unavailable only for the time it takes to dump and
load it.  Using an incremental dump can make the down time very low.

I work solo and I can't do any development while I am upgrading a
machine, so I typically dump the repository to a backup location,
upgrade the machine and Subversion, load the repository under the new
operating system, then test it.  But that means the repository is down
for a day (I always reformat the hard drive when I upgrade the operating
system).  Your mileage may vary.

--
     David Chapman         dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA

Re: Advice on upgrading svn and moving to new server

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 4/1/2011 7:45 AM, KM wrote:

> Thanks I think. Not sure it helps with my original question. ... which i
> am sure i'll figure out by trial and error.
> Whether to updgrade to solaris 10 w/new server, install newer svn and
> dependent packages and then copy reppos from old server - dump it and
> load it. Or do I need to install and upgraded svn and repos on old
> server then copy to new server - etc -

Dump/load is supposed to 'always' work and gives the system a change to
optimize storage.  Upgrade-in-place should work too, but may not
optimize to new formats, and copying the binary repo files might only
work across similar CPU types.  Yet another alternative would be to use
svnsync to pull the content from the old to the new server, then adjust
the hooks to become an active repository.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com