Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Hakan Baba <ah...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/04 18:39:17 UTC

What is the significance of hbase.regionserver.ipc.numActiveHandler metric?

The ipc numActiveHandler is documented here
<https://hbase.apache.org/1.2/book.html> as:

The number of RPC handlers actively servicing requests

I am looking for a more detailed explanation about the significance of that
metric. I am trying to debug a scenario, where numActiveHandler is stuck at
32. I think 32 is a pre-configured max.[image: numActiveHandler stuck at
max timing] <https://i.stack.imgur.com/Lnqo7.png>

During that time, the same regionserver is stuck at 100% cpu consumption.
For one of the regions on that reqionserver, the rate of processed read
requests look like they are reduced by some pressure, a bottleneck
somewhere. The read request latencies also increase about 5X.

What could lead to this behavior ? My intuition is that there has been too
many connections to that region server during that time and the bottleneck
is before a read request could be processed. Any suggestions where to look
next ?
Update

The numActiveHandler metric was added here
<https://jira.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/HBASE-10212>.
The description in that ticket says:

We found [numActiveHandler] is a good metric to measure how busy of a
server. If this number is too high (compared to the total number of
handlers), the server has risks in getting call queue full.

Update2

During the same period, another metric
hbase.regionserver.ipc.numCallsInGeneralQueuebehaves abnormally too.
Attaching a plot showing them together.

[image: enter image description here] <https://i.stack.imgur.com/dDuBd.png>

Thanks

Hakan