Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Martin Monperrus <ma...@gnieh.org> on 2014/10/22 18:30:12 UTC

OS process timed out

Hi,

I'm suffering from an intermittent but severe couchdb error.

This error is of the form of "OS process timed out." as shown in http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8629425/

My current troubleshooting is as follows:
- There is no big document, no heavy load on the server and few requests on couchdb.
- Setting "query_server_config/os_process_limit" and "couchdb/os_process_timeout" do not seem to help.
- The bug happened in version 1.2, I migrated to 1.6 and it is still there.
- Restarting does not solve the error (at least not always)

Any clue on how to diagnose and fix the problem?

Best regards,

--Martin

Re: OS process timed out

Posted by Mike Marino <mm...@gmail.com>.
It seems to be happening in the _users validation function when PUTing new
users (at least this seems to be the only indication I see), but it's not
clear to me that there's any other exercising of the query server through,
e.g., view building.

Are you sure that the javascript query server is working at all?  That is,
the "intermittent" nature may come from the fact that you are simply rarely
using anything related to javascript at the moment.  A few things to try:

1.  Insert a new view and query it to build it.
2.  Can you run a Hello World with couchjs?  i.e.
> cat test.js
print("Hello World");
> couchjs test.js

If either of those fail, I would have a closer look at your couchjs.

Cheers,
Mike