Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/22 17:41:40 UTC

Appending to HDFS file

Hello,

I am currently using Hadoop 2.4.1.I am running a MR job using hadoop
streaming utility.

The executable needs to write large amount of information in a file.
However, this write is not done in single attempt. The file needs to be
appended with streams of information generated.

In the code, inside a loop, I open a file in hdfs, appends some
information. This is not working and I see only the last write.

How do I accomplish append operation in hadoop? Can anyone share a pointer
to me?

regards
Bala

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all,

It works now

Regards
rab

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all,

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all,

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all,

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by "Liu, Yi A" <yi...@intel.com>.
[...]

Stanley Shi,
[http://www.gopivotal.com/files/media/logos/pivotal-logo-email-signature.png]

RE: Appending to HDFS file

RE: Appending to HDFS file

RE: Appending to HDFS file

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
You should not use this method:
FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)

Here's the java doc for this "create" method:

  /**

   * Create an FSDataOutputStream at the indicated Path.

   * @param f the file to create

   * @*param** overwrite if a file with this name already exists, then if
true,*

   *   the file will be overwritten, and if false an exception will be
thrown.

   */

  public FSDataOutputStream create(Path f, boolean overwrite)

      throws IOException {

    return create(f, overwrite,

                  getConf().getInt("io.file.buffer.size", 4096),

                  getDefaultReplication(f),

                  getDefaultBlockSize(f));

  }

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> Here is d code snippet, I use to append
>
> def outFile = "${outputFile}.txt"
>
> Path pt = new Path("${hdfsName}/${dir}/${outFile}")
>
> def fs = org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(configuration);
>
> FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)
>
> fp << "${key} ${value}\n"
> On 27 Aug 2014 09:46, "Stanley Shi" <ss...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>> would you please past the code in the loop?
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
>>> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>>>
>>> Regards

>> --
>> Regards,
>> *Stanley Shi,*

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
You should not use this method:
FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)

Here's the java doc for this "create" method:

  /**

   * Create an FSDataOutputStream at the indicated Path.

   * @param f the file to create

   * @*param** overwrite if a file with this name already exists, then if
true,*

   *   the file will be overwritten, and if false an exception will be
thrown.

   */

  public FSDataOutputStream create(Path f, boolean overwrite)

      throws IOException {

    return create(f, overwrite,

                  getConf().getInt("io.file.buffer.size", 4096),

                  getDefaultReplication(f),

                  getDefaultBlockSize(f));

  }

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> Here is d code snippet, I use to append
>
> def outFile = "${outputFile}.txt"
>
> Path pt = new Path("${hdfsName}/${dir}/${outFile}")
>
> def fs = org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(configuration);
>
> FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)
>
> fp << "${key} ${value}\n"
> On 27 Aug 2014 09:46, "Stanley Shi" <ss...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>> would you please past the code in the loop?
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
>>> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>>>
>>> Regards

>> --
>> Regards,
>> *Stanley Shi,*

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
You should not use this method:
FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)

Here's the java doc for this "create" method:

  /**

   * Create an FSDataOutputStream at the indicated Path.

   * @param f the file to create

   * @*param** overwrite if a file with this name already exists, then if
true,*

   *   the file will be overwritten, and if false an exception will be
thrown.

   */

  public FSDataOutputStream create(Path f, boolean overwrite)

      throws IOException {

    return create(f, overwrite,

                  getConf().getInt("io.file.buffer.size", 4096),

                  getDefaultReplication(f),

                  getDefaultBlockSize(f));

  }

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> Here is d code snippet, I use to append
>
> def outFile = "${outputFile}.txt"
>
> Path pt = new Path("${hdfsName}/${dir}/${outFile}")
>
> def fs = org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(configuration);
>
> FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)
>
> fp << "${key} ${value}\n"
> On 27 Aug 2014 09:46, "Stanley Shi" <ss...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>> would you please past the code in the loop?
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
>>> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>>>
>>> Regards

>> --
>> Regards,
>> *Stanley Shi,*

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
You should not use this method:
FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)

Here's the java doc for this "create" method:

  /**

   * Create an FSDataOutputStream at the indicated Path.

   * @param f the file to create

   * @*param** overwrite if a file with this name already exists, then if
true,*

   *   the file will be overwritten, and if false an exception will be
thrown.

   */

  public FSDataOutputStream create(Path f, boolean overwrite)

      throws IOException {

    return create(f, overwrite,

                  getConf().getInt("io.file.buffer.size", 4096),

                  getDefaultReplication(f),

                  getDefaultBlockSize(f));

  }

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> Here is d code snippet, I use to append
>
> def outFile = "${outputFile}.txt"
>
> Path pt = new Path("${hdfsName}/${dir}/${outFile}")
>
> def fs = org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(configuration);
>
> FSDataOutputStream fp = fs.create(pt, true)
>
> fp << "${key} ${value}\n"
> On 27 Aug 2014 09:46, "Stanley Shi" <ss...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>> would you please past the code in the loop?
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
>>> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>>>
>>> Regards

>> --
>> Regards,
>> *Stanley Shi,*

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
hello

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
hello

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
hello

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by rab ra <ra...@gmail.com>.
hello

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
would you please past the code in the loop?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>
> Regards
> On 23 Aug 2014 11:20, "Jagat Singh" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is value of dfs.support.append in hdfs-site.cml
>>

>> https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently using Hadoop 2.4.1.I am running a MR job using hadoop
>>> streaming utility.
>>>
>>> The executable needs to write large amount of information in a file.
>>> However, this write is not done in single attempt. The file needs to be
>>> appended with streams of information generated.
>>>
>>> In the code, inside a loop, I open a file in hdfs, appends some
>>> information. This is not working and I see only the last write.
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish append operation in hadoop? Can anyone share a
>>> pointer to me?
>>>

>>> regards
>>> Bala

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
would you please past the code in the loop?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>
> Regards
> On 23 Aug 2014 11:20, "Jagat Singh" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is value of dfs.support.append in hdfs-site.cml
>>

>> https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently using Hadoop 2.4.1.I am running a MR job using hadoop
>>> streaming utility.
>>>
>>> The executable needs to write large amount of information in a file.
>>> However, this write is not done in single attempt. The file needs to be
>>> appended with streams of information generated.
>>>
>>> In the code, inside a loop, I open a file in hdfs, appends some
>>> information. This is not working and I see only the last write.
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish append operation in hadoop? Can anyone share a
>>> pointer to me?
>>>

>>> regards
>>> Bala

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
would you please past the code in the loop?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>
> Regards
> On 23 Aug 2014 11:20, "Jagat Singh" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is value of dfs.support.append in hdfs-site.cml
>>

>> https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently using Hadoop 2.4.1.I am running a MR job using hadoop
>>> streaming utility.
>>>
>>> The executable needs to write large amount of information in a file.
>>> However, this write is not done in single attempt. The file needs to be
>>> appended with streams of information generated.
>>>
>>> In the code, inside a loop, I open a file in hdfs, appends some
>>> information. This is not working and I see only the last write.
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish append operation in hadoop? Can anyone share a
>>> pointer to me?
>>>

>>> regards
>>> Bala

*Stanley Shi,*

Re: Appending to HDFS file

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@pivotal.io>.
would you please past the code in the loop?

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> By default, it is true in hadoop 2.4.1. Nevertheless, I have set it to
> true explicitly in hdfs-site.xml. Still, I am not able to achieve append.
>
> Regards
> On 23 Aug 2014 11:20, "Jagat Singh" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is value of dfs.support.append in hdfs-site.cml
>>

>> https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM, rab ra <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently using Hadoop 2.4.1.I am running a MR job using hadoop
>>> streaming utility.
>>>
>>> The executable needs to write large amount of information in a file.
>>> However, this write is not done in single attempt. The file needs to be
>>> appended with streams of information generated.
>>>
>>> In the code, inside a loop, I open a file in hdfs, appends some
>>> information. This is not working and I see only the last write.
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish append operation in hadoop? Can anyone share a
>>> pointer to me?
>>>

>>> regards
>>> Bala

*Stanley Shi,*