Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Praveen <pr...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/11 16:50:23 UTC

Kafka upgrade from 0.10 to 2.3.x

Hi folks,

I'd like to take downtime to upgrade to 2.3.x from 10.2.1. But I can't find
it in the doc for 2.3.x upgrade that I can take downtime to do this. The
instructions are for rolling upgrade only.

Has anyone tried this?

Praveen

Re: Kafka upgrade from 0.10 to 2.3.x

Posted by Xiangyuan LI <fl...@gmail.com>.
hi praveen:
   we had done upgrade from 0.10.0.1 to 2.3.0 lasy year, it's feasible to
do a roll upgrade, just follow official upgrade document. although we have
met some serious problem during the process(it's such
a big change that all clients and related packages such as
spring,springboot should upgrade, too).
the most terrible one is mentioned in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9648. but i think most kafka
users wont meet this.
   because the structure used by internal topic __consuemr_offsets is
upgraded between 0.10.X and 2.3.0, if you have already set
inter.broker.protocol.version=2.3.0(the second step during rolling
upgrade), you couldn't rollback this parameter to 0.10.0.X, because lower
version
kafka server couldn't know newer version structure. but if you just upgrade
step1(use 2.3.0 jar), it's ok to downgrade server program to 0.10.X.

Praveen <pr...@gmail.com> 于2020年5月18日周一 下午4:02写道:

Posted by Praveen <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.