Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/11/02 19:40:06 UTC

JDBC improvement issue

I would like to remove the necessity of copying the Jdbc*Connection
class in the DataSource code.  In order to do this, I need to expose
the future API in the AbstractJdbcConnection (I provided this so that
all classes taht extend it behave the same way).  I also moved the
code that detected the type of environment we were in to the
JdbcConnectionFactory object--thus allowing both JdbcConnection
and Jdbc3Connection to exist in the same jar.

The issue is the SavePoint class.  SavePoint is new to the JDBC 3.0
collection, and is accessed from the Connection object.  It is used
to allow you to make Save Points in a transaction--so you can restore
to a SavePoint and try an alternate solution.  The problem is, in order
to remain compatible in JDBC 2.0 environments, we need to have a
SavePoint class that can do absolutely nothing.

We would have to have a class in the jar like this:

public class java.sql.SavePoint {}

During the compile, if a Jdbc3.0 environment was detected, the class
would be excluded from the build and the Jdbc3Connection class would
be included.  The opposite would happen when we don't have Jdbc3.0
available.

Sun guards the java.* classes jealously, and I need to know if this
is really a solution.

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"