Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joe San <co...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/09 17:00:35 UTC

Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Is this intentioal in the Kafka 0.8.2.0 version,
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer, the method:

public Map<String, ConsumerRecords<K, V>> poll(long timeout) {
    return null;
}

Which version of 0.8.x.x should I use so that I could do a
consumer.poll(2000)?

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Joe San <co...@gmail.com>.
How could I use Kafka for offset management with the 0.8.2 version of Kafka`

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Yifan Ying <na...@gmail.com>.

--
Yifan

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Auto commit is enabled by default (auto.commit.enable) and Zookeeper is the
default storage for compatibility reasons (offsets.storage), but using
Kafka instead is recommended.

See http://kafka.apache.org/090/documentation.html#oldconsumerconfigs for
details on configuring the old consumer.

-Ewen

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Joe San <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can I do automatic offset commit using the highlevel consumer? If so, where
> is the offset being comitted?
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
>
> > If you are working against 0.8.2 brokers and cannot update, you'll have
> > use the old consumer API for now. There are two parts to it, but you
> > probably want the high level consumer, documented here:
> > http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#highlevelconsumerapi
> >
> > -Ewen
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Joe San <co...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Could anyone point me to an older version of the consumer client that I
> > > could use to run against the 0.8.2 version of Kafka?
> > >
> > > On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Ewen Cheslack-Postava <
> ewen@confluent.io

> sketched

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Ewen

Ewen

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Joe San <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
If you are working against 0.8.2 brokers and cannot update, you'll have to
use the old consumer API for now. There are two parts to it, but you
probably want the high level consumer, documented here:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#highlevelconsumerapi

-Ewen

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Joe San <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could anyone point me to an older version of the consumer client that I
> could use to run against the 0.8.2 version of Kafka?
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
>
> > The new consumer wasn't implemented until 0.9.0.0. The API was sketched
> > out, but no implementation had been included yet.
> >
> > -Ewen
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Joe San <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is this intentioal in the Kafka 0.8.2.0 version,
> > > org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer, the method:
> > >
> > > public Map<String, ConsumerRecords<K, V>> poll(long timeout) {
> > >     return null;
> > > }
> > >
> > > Which version of 0.8.x.x should I use so that I could do a
> > > consumer.poll(2000)?
> > >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Ewen

Ewen

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Joe San <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka Consumer for 0.8.x.x

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
The new consumer wasn't implemented until 0.9.0.0. The API was sketched
out, but no implementation had been included yet.

-Ewen

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Joe San <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this intentioal in the Kafka 0.8.2.0 version,
> org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer, the method:
>
> public Map<String, ConsumerRecords<K, V>> poll(long timeout) {
>     return null;
> }
>
> Which version of 0.8.x.x should I use so that I could do a
> consumer.poll(2000)?

Ewen