Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2003/07/01 03:56:59 UTC

Re: Multiple Class-Path in MANIFEST.MF (PRs 4683 and 21170)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:14 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Problem 1 seems to be that the MANIFEST spec says that attributes
> cannot be repeated in one section while other specs say that you could
> do that for the Class-Path attribute in the main section.  It seems
> that JDK 1.4.2 now emits warnings for duplicate attribute names, and
> these warnings include the Class-Path attribute.

This is pretty odd
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/extensions/spec.html

"Multiple Class-Path headers may be specified, and are combined sequentially."

We can add a warning to the Manifest code, I guess and perhaps even combine
into a single attribute.

Conor

Re: Multiple Class-Path in MANIFEST.MF (PRs 4683 and 21170)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> We can add a warning to the Manifest code, I guess and perhaps even
> combine into a single attribute.

The later can probably be only optional - I vaguely recall that some
J2ME implementations required multiple Class-Path entries and that was
part of the reason that we changed the code.

Stefan

Re: Multiple Class-Path in MANIFEST.MF (PRs 4683 and 21170)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:14 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Problem 1 seems to be that the MANIFEST spec says that attributes
>>cannot be repeated in one section while other specs say that you could
>>do that for the Class-Path attribute in the main section.  It seems
>>that JDK 1.4.2 now emits warnings for duplicate attribute names, and
>>these warnings include the Class-Path attribute.
>

> This is pretty odd
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/extensions/spec.html
>
> "Multiple Class-Path headers may be specified, and are combined sequentially."
>
> We can add a warning to the Manifest code, I guess and perhaps even combine
> into a single attribute.

well, now that 1.4.2 has shipped if there is a diff from spec to impl,
we can complain.

As an aside, I spent last night tracking down a 1.4.2 regression in my
code. the cause: the new PIII floating point stuff, in which floats are
moved to the PIII SSE register set, and (if present), doubles to the P4
SSE2 FPU. It looks like the new register sets are more accurate than the
old x86 ones, so some floating point number comparisions were failing,
when they were suceeding before.

-steve