Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/12 14:46:17 UTC

VXQuery status update

Hi vxquery-dev,

The Incubator PMC is concerned [1] about the lack of activity in
VXQuery. You did file a status report this month [2], but I see no
related list activity or any indication that "considering future of
the project" is actually happening.

Assuming the project is no longer active please follow the
instructions in [3] to gracefully retire the project. Otherwise please
include in your next report a plan on how to revive the project.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/sp7doxbcozs6hv26
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2012
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
On Jan 19, 2012, at 6:55 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:
>
>> you are right, the consideration hasn't been happening on the list,
>
> Where else?

A ping on IM and then in my head for some time - and judging from his e-mail - also in Vinayak's head.

However, the more interesting question seems to be the question that Vinayak raised in his last e-mail. If you had some thoughts on that, that'd be great.

Thanks,
Till

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vinayak,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Till and I would like to continue developing the codebase. However, it is
> not clear at this time how we will be successful in developing a community
> around this project. So from an Apache incubated project point of view, what
> we do may not be sufficient.

Yes, if you don't foresee a path towards graduation [1] within a
reasonable time-frame, then taking the project to an external hosting
provider is one option.

Another option, if you wish to remain within the ASF, is to consider
graduation for example into an XMLBeans subproject in case the
XMLBeans PMC would be willing to help you with oversight for VXQuery.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Jukka,

Till and I would like to continue developing the codebase. However, it
is not clear at this time how we will be successful in developing a
community around this project. So from an Apache incubated project point
of view, what we do may not be sufficient.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vinayak

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: VXQuery status update

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Hi Jukka,

you are right, the consideration hasn't been happening on the list, so Apache-wise it didn't happen.
However, there was some consideration and - looking at the same indicators as you did - I think that we should indeed retire the project.
So, unless somebody on this list strongly objects to the retirement, we will retire the project in the coming weeks.
We assume that there are no issues keeping the code open at another place like SourceForge or GitHub.
Is that right?

Thank you and best regards,
Till