Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com> on 2008/09/30 21:36:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080

I am novice when it comes to Apache.  I have installed 2.2.9 on a Windows
2003 server and can get it to run fine.  The server has one NIC with three
IP addresses bound to it.  In installed Apache as a Windows service and
edited the httpd.conf file so that the server listened on port 8080.  I
would like each IP address to run a different site on port 8080 and I would
like each site to have its own Windows service so that I can individually
shut down a site.  Is this possible?  It seems like if I start just one
service I can hit each IP at port 8080 and they all work.  Can you assist me
in what I am doing wrong.

Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.
We may be able to get by with the short time Apache restarts, but I wanted to
exhuast all options before going down a certain path.

Thanks for all the help.

John

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.
Jay,

That is not the problem I am having.  All of our DMZ sites sit behind a Load
Balance switch and all run on port 8080.  Our public facing domain names\IP
addresses (Public URL's) are housed on the Load Balance switch and run on
port 80.  When someone hits our Public url, they hit the LB switch and the
switch then knows where to drop it down to based on the config for that VIP
address. The end user never knows the backend web server IP because it is
all handled by the LB switch.

My issue was needing multiple sites to run, each on port 8080, but be able
to stop and start each one individually. The have to run on port 8080
because that is what is allow to come back through our firewall to our
internal BEA WL servers.

John

jg6789 wrote:

> Brian,
> tried my.domain.com to my.domain.com:8080. doesnt work only allows
> IP:PORT.
> btw Cox internet out here even with a business account blocks port 80.

Posted by EJ...@petersonmachineryco.com.
That is wild dude. I have never had an isp home or business that doesn't
support port 80 listening. Now I have been more than limited at times with
other ports but with the proper applications and servers installed I don't
think I have ever been unable to use a port.

             "Brian Mearns"
             <mearns.b@gmail.c
                                       users@httpd.apache.org
             10/01/2008 01:56                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple
             Please respond to         Windows Services on port 8080
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

That's pretty wild that they don't even let businesses host their own
sites. I'd complain to them long before I complain to dyndns. They
must have some account that lets you use port 80, right?

-Brian

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jg...@cox.net.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
How are you "redirecting" to the IP address? I used to use dyndns.com
for my subdomain name, and I was able to append the port number with
no problem. E.g., my subdomain was something like bmearns.homeip.net,
so I just went to http://bmearns.homeip.net:8080.

Do you not want users to see your IP address for security reasons? Or
just because it's ugly and utterly forgettable? If it's for security
reasons, and they're connecting directly to your site through the
domain forwarding (i.e., not through a proxy), then they should be
able to get your IP address anyway with a DNS lookup.

-Brian

>> jg6789@cox.net wrote:
>>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> We too are limited to port 8080. since our ISP blocks port 80. Have you
>>> ever found a work around for this? We currently have to have our domain
>>> [sub.domain.com] redirect to 72.x.x.x.:8080 in order for it to work. Now
>>> users see the ip address in the browser address bar. not good. not good at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Apache 2.2.9
>>> Linksys Gateway/Router WCG200
>>>
>>> Jay

Re: [users@httpd] Running Multiple Windows Services on port 8080

Posted by jg...@cox.net.
enjoy it while you can.

Jay
Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
Jay,

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.
Okay, I figured out what I was doing wrong.  For the Listen Address, I only
had the port number.  Therefore, when I started the service it would
listening on port 8080 at any IP address the server had bound to it. "Stupid
Me"  When I changed it to be IP:port only the website that was configured in
the conf file ran.  Now I can create two new Windows services for the other
IP's and run them separately.

John

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
Well look at that. Thanks for correcting me, even if you did it rather
unpleasantly. It's always nice to learn something new. That's why I
try to preface my comments with soft phrases like "to the best of my
knowledge".

-Brian

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.
William,

I installed three separate Windows services, with each using its own config
file, doc root and logfiles.  Within each config file I specified one of
three IP addresses at port 8080 and specified the Virtual Host, doc root,
logfiles, etc.  I tested it out and when I started one of the services, the
website for the IP it was uinsg came up fine. However, the other websites
for the other two IP's would not come up.  I then started the second service
and I was able to get to the second website, but the third still did not
come up.  I then started the last one and the third site come up. I reversed
to shut the down on at a time and each time the site would longer be
available.  I no longer have a site or config that has Listen 8080.

John

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by jwberger <jw...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.