Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Kamaraj, Jayakumar" <jk...@corp.untd.com> on 2009/08/24 13:58:22 UTC

[users@httpd] File does not exist error in my error log

Hi,

    I recently upgraded from apache 1.3.37 to 1.3.41 ,I didn't change
any of the configuration parameter.
    When I am using the apache 1.3.37 ,my http logs contain only 404
request, but there is no  equivalent error line in  error_log file
,provided LogLevel equals error .

    Even with same LogLevel under apache 1.3.41 we are getting 404
request in our http log ,along with these we are also getting the error
[Mon Aug 24 05:00:29 2009] [error] [client 85.185.96.194] File does not
exist in our error_logs.
    How to suppress only this error 'File does not exist ' not appear in
my error log ?
     If possible provide me the reason why it is getting logged in
apache 1.3.41 but not in 1.3.37 .

Thanks,
Jai

Re: [users@httpd] File does not exist error in my error log

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Kamaraj, Jayakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Basically this many errors comes for just favicon.ico .
Well if that is the case, just create that file and your errors will
disappear.
But this does not match your logfile message below.  That one says the
file is 2.jpg.

Posted by "Kamaraj, Jayakumar" <jk...@corp.untd.com>.
Hi,

Basically this many errors comes for just favicon.ico .Anyway we will compare with our old apache logs and will inform you .

Thanks,
Jai

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Kamaraj, Jayakumar" <jk...@corp.untd.com>.
Hi,

For your questions here are my possible answers

Which kind of platform ?

Linux fw01 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6PAE #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:22 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Error line in http access log :

2009-08-24~05:28:22~10.181.4.3~-~test123.com~pw12~10.183.22.42~GET~/2.jpg~~404~0~19910~-~0~Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2~s_cc=true/***truncated**/

Error line in error_log :

[Mon Aug 24 05:28:22 2009] [error] [client 10.180.4.3] File does not exist: /data/*/www/2.jpg .

The url tried is http://jkamarajfree.9f.com/2.jpg
That file is not existing in the server also .We expected the 404 error in http access log but not the equivalent file doesnot exist error in error_log.

The DocumentRoot directive is not defined in the conf file ,since it is shared host type. The conf file is located in /home/free/conf/httpd.conf.
Please let me know if you want any more details.

Thanks,
Jai

>     I recently upgraded from apache 1.3.37 to 1.3.41 ,

on which kind of platform ?

I didn't change
> any of the configuration parameter.

mmm. Maybe you did not, but maybe the update did ?

>     When I am using the apache 1.3.37 ,my http logs

which exact file name is this ?

  contain only 404
> request,

please show the exact line from the logfile

but there is no  equivalent error line in  error_log file

which exact filename is this ?

> ,provided LogLevel equals error .
>
>     Even with same LogLevel under apache 1.3.41 we are getting 404
> request in our http log ,along with these we are also getting the
> error [Mon Aug 24 05:00:29 2009] [error] [client 85.185.96.194] File
> does not exist in our error_logs.

please show the exact line, as it appears in the logfile

>     How to suppress only this error 'File does not exist ' not appear
> in my error log ?

You should probably find the reason for the error itself, not just trying to suppress the error message.

>      If possible provide me the reason why it is getting logged in
> apache 1.3.41 but not in 1.3.37 .

Not without the information requested above, and the following :

- which URL is the client trying to access ?
- if this is a file, does that file exist ? please provide the complete path
- where is your Apache configuration file ? (complete path)
- what is the value of "DocumentRoot" in that configuration file ?

Re: [users@httpd] File does not exist error in my error log

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Kamaraj, Jayakumar" <jk...@corp.untd.com>.
Hi,

	Thanks for your reply. I will try once more comparing  this with
my old apache version error logs and will inform you.

Thanks,
Jai

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 17:28 +0530, Kamaraj, Jayakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I recently upgraded from apache 1.3.37 to 1.3.41 ,I didn't change
> any of the configuration parameter.
>     When I am using the apache 1.3.37 ,my http logs contain only 404
> request, but there is no  equivalent error line in  error_log file
> ,provided LogLevel equals error .
>
>     Even with same LogLevel under apache 1.3.41 we are getting 404
> request in our http log ,along with these we are also getting the
> error [Mon Aug 24 05:00:29 2009] [error] [client 85.185.96.194] File
> does not exist in our error_logs.
>     How to suppress only this error 'File does not exist ' not appear
> in my error log ?
>      If possible provide me the reason why it is getting logged in
> apache 1.3.41 but not in 1.3.37 .
>
> Thanks,
> Jai

This code hasn't changed between 1.3.37 and 1.3.41, so any effect you
are seeing is misidentified. Are you sure that you didn't get them with
the earlier version, or that you are logging at the exact same log
level?
To answer your question, this error is logged at APLOG_ERR (in both
versions), so you would see it in 'error' and higher LogLevels. If you
want to suppress it, you must log at a lower level if you do not want to
see it, eg 'crit', 'alert' or 'emerg'. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#loglevel for more
details.

Cheers

Tom