Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Talk Jesus <ch...@talkjesus.com> on 2014/09/29 18:48:11 UTC

Initial Infrastructure Deployment

Is this a good setup for initial small scale deployment to offer cloud vps
hosting?

CS MANAGEMENT SERVER

    16 GB RAM
    Minimum Dual Core (2Ghz+)
    40 GB SSD + 500 GB iScSi drive (saw this on a site, why 2nd iScSi
drive?, why not just dual SSD identical, raid?)
    100 Mbps NIC
    Centos 6.5 64bit

2X HYPERVISOR SERVERS

    32+ GB RAM
    Quad Core 2Ghz+ (saw this on a site, but wouldn't dual quad or 2x
hexacore be a lot better?)
    40 GB SSD + 1 TB Raid 1
    4 x 1 Gbps NIC
    Xenserver 6.2 (Free Edition) , KVM , XCP 1.5

1 X FREENAS STORAGE (PRIMARY STORAGE)

    10TB Storage
    SSD, NFS
    High on IOPS
    1 x 100 Mpbs NIC
    2 x 1 Gbps NIC
    Centos 6.5 64bit

1 X FREENAS STORAGE (VM / TEMPLATES / SNAPSHOTS)

    10TB Storage
    SATA III or SAS, NFS
    Low on IOPS
    1 x 100 Mpbs NIC
    2 x 1 Gbps NIC
    Centos 6.5 64bit

Re: Initial Infrastructure Deployment

Posted by Erdősi Péter <fa...@niif.hu>.
2014.09.29. 19:20 keltezéssel, Sam Ceylani írta:
>   you also have 100 Mbps nics which will cause some performance issues
I think, it's for management purpose.. Am I right?
Btw, the iSCSI offer more throughput I think, (NFS needs filesystem and
you write big files, but with iSCSI, you can give block device as lvm
logical volume)
We using Fujitsu Eternus DX90 S2 for cluster iSCSI (but software iSCSI
could be fine also).
I not compared the price, but with branded small/mid business storage
you get chance to expand (with ethernet ports, another raid controller,
and also with disc enclosures) so it may worth the price.

Regards,
  Peter

Re: Initial Infrastructure Deployment

Posted by Sam Ceylani <sa...@mistercertified.com>.
Freenas is FreeBSD based software appliance (iso distrubution) and will not be on Centos. You mentioned Xenserver 6.2 and KVM which one? Both are hypervisor software, you cant use both ( technically yes, recommended no) you also have 100 Mbps nics which will cause some performance issues. Freenas is using ZFS file system which needs to be tweaked heavily for NFS to work with, (legacy file system UFS is also available but they will drop supporting it in near future) you mentioned XCP I assume It is Citrix Cloud Platform and it is not a hypervisor, CS management server needs 4 GB memory 500 gig hd and thats all you need, no need for performance or ssd hds on that machine, I dont understand the need for iscsi hds for CS mgmt server, nothing happens on that server. Primary freenas will need more than 2 nics given that you have 10 tb space assuming you will need more than 160MBps bandwith ( 80MBps each with MPIO with ISCSI and not using NFS which is not capable of MPIO, but bonding is available for NFS)

There are a lot of things wrong with your setup here, you cant deploy Freenas with ZFS using NFS unless you turn off syncing for that NFS dataset otherwise it works but you get 10MBps write speed which is ridiculuous really and if you turn off syncing you better have some good UPS connected to it otherwise you may end up with corrupted file system ( Not ZFS itself but NFS dataset may get corrupt)

You said high on IO for primary server but if you dont have the bandwith? with 2 Nics what good is it? even one of your hd may fill that bandwith really quickly...

Big or small you cant deploy this...

Sent from my iPhone