Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2010/01/25 19:28:32 UTC

Re: svn commit: r902716 [1/2] - in /ofbiz/trunk: framework/images/webapp/images/rate/ specialpurpose/ebay/ specialpurpose/ebay/config/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/helpdata/ specialpurpose/ebay/servicedef/ specialpurpose/ebay/src/org/...

hansbak@apache.org wrote:
> Author: hansbak
> Date: Mon Jan 25 06:26:23 2010
> New Revision: 902716

> Log:
>
>  function leave feedback and screen
> - function auto relist item and screen
> - Get  feedback data from ebay site and save into ofbiz.
> - Add rate pictures into framework/images/webapp/images
> - screen for show awaiting feedback and recent feedback from buyer
> - help screens are provided

this was a bad commit, too many things done at once.  Please try to be
considerate of long-term maintainability, having small commits makes
it easier to verify and debug.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> This seems to be a little bit condescending. Trying to pick another fight?
>
> I'm just glad to have ring-side seats... ;)

I agree with you, David.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I can't disagree. It's good to see more things in OFBiz, having them in a better state should certainly be researched. I'm confident
in Hans to tackle this with time, we have already seen clear progresses.
But please Hans, even if it's the same work for review, break these big patches in smaller pieces. If we need to revert something it
will be much easier, thanks.

My 2cts

Jacques

From: "Tim Ruppert" <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Not trying to - but sorry for the tone if it came across that way Hans.  I'm simply asking why it gets past the committer's desk as
"I'm trying to get my people to provide smaller pieces" is an ok way of committing code.  Isn't that the responsibility of the
committer to tell the person that's providing the code to go back to the drawing board and break it up?  Isn't that our job as
committers?  And as the rest of the committers, isn't it our job to remind the offending committer to spend more time with the
person who's providing the code so that we don't have to dig thru this much mess?

It's not always easy for any of us, but I just don't see this from other people, so I wanted to remind Hans.  If all the other
committers think this is ok (which obviously they didn't since Adam brought it up), then I'll happily back off.  Since that's not
the case - and this obviously doesn't follow the best practices of the project - please let me know how I should encourage Hans to
do what is clearly in our best practices.

What should be done is that this mess of a commit should be reverted and put back in in pieces - you have to start somewhere and
sometimes it's just not good enough when you have an entire community to just say you're trying hard.  My two cents.

Cheers,
Ruppert
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Tim Ruppert wrote:
> Not trying to - but sorry for the tone if it came across that way Hans.  I'm simply asking why it gets past the committer's desk as "I'm trying to get my people to provide smaller pieces" is an ok way of committing code.  Isn't that the responsibility of the committer to tell the person that's providing the code to go back to the drawing board and break it up?  Isn't that our job as committers?  And as the rest of the committers, isn't it our job to remind the offending committer to spend more time with the person who's providing the code so that we don't have to dig thru this much mess?
>
> It's not always easy for any of us, but I just don't see this from other people, so I wanted to remind Hans.  If all the other committers think this is ok (which obviously they didn't since Adam brought it up), then I'll happily back off.  Since that's not the case - and this obviously doesn't follow the best practices of the project - please let me know how I should encourage Hans to do what is clearly in our best practices.
>
> What should be done is that this mess of a commit should be reverted and put back in in pieces - you have to start somewhere and sometimes it's just not good enough when you have an entire community to just say you're trying hard.  My two cents.

Reverting the commit is wrong.  Just try to be more careful in the future.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.biz>.

Le 26/01/2010 15:28, Tim Ruppert a écrit :
> Not trying to - but sorry for the tone if it came across that way Hans.  I'm simply asking why it gets past the committer's desk as "I'm trying to get my people to provide smaller pieces" is an ok way of committing code.  Isn't that the responsibility of the committer to tell the person that's providing the code to go back to the drawing board and break it up?  Isn't that our job as committers?  And as the rest of the committers, isn't it our job to remind the offending committer to spend more time with the person who's providing the code so that we don't have to dig thru this much mess?
>
> It's not always easy for any of us, but I just don't see this from other people, so I wanted to remind Hans.  If all the other committers think this is ok (which obviously they didn't since Adam brought it up), then I'll happily back off.  Since that's not the case - and this obviously doesn't follow the best practices of the project - please let me know how I should encourage Hans to do what is clearly in our best practices.
>
> What should be done is that this mess of a commit should be reverted and put back in in pieces - you have to start somewhere and sometimes it's just not good enough when you have an entire community to just say you're trying hard.  My two cents.
>
> Cheers,
> Ruppert
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595

The problem we have here, is that a too big commit is not well reviewed.
 From what I saw, and what has been reverted, it seems that a lot of
lines have not been validated.
We found (at Nereide) already one service going from https to http, and
the other thing is a suppression of all the shipment methods from the
demo data.

As we are all on different timezones, the responses and explanations are
a bit slow, and we cannot understand the reason of those changes.

I'm sure that smaller commits will help us understand the work done, and
the reason of the changes, and also point easily the reason of it.

This were my 2 cents....

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> Thanks Jacopo this makes a good distinction.
>
> We need peer review, and LOTS of it. We can't "wait" for code to improve because code doesn't just automatically improve over time, someone has to improve it and specific feedback on code itself will help with that.
>
> I don't see any reason to talk about the people or guesses about the behavior that caused code problems (which is silly, how do you know?).
>
> I'd argue that much of the feedback to Hans has not been specific or focused on the code, but rather either personal things or guesses at behavior behind the code or general trends that are of limited usefulness when it comes to improving the code. What's the point of any of that?

I haven't done any of this last paragraph.  In fact, when I generally
reply to a commit mail, I tend to have blinders on, as to who actually
did it, what their background is, where they are located, what
timezone, etc.

If I suddenly start remembing who did what, then it might make me
start writing emails in a more personal matter, which then could be
misinterpeted, since we all have different backgrounds.  It's much
better to look at *just the code*; it's much harder to argue against
that for argumentative sake.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Adrian,

You have a gift for accuracy, generosity, and refreshingly bias-free analysis.

-David

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> Adam Heath wrote:
>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> For those of you who didn't bother to read the entire thread, the
>>> comments in it were specific:
>>>
>>> 1. Hans made a large commit
>>> 2. Adam criticized the commit, asked Hans to break it up into smaller
>>> pieces
>>> 3. Hans blamed one of his workers
>>> 4. Tim commented that Hans has an obligation to make good commits
>>> 5. David accused Tim of picking a fight
>>> 6. Tim responded to David's accusation
>>> 7. I supported Tim, saying Hans' reputation has earned him additional
>>> scrutiny
>>
>> Except that in step 4, Tim mentioned Hans; if he had removed that
>> single word, I would have sided(I hate that term in this situation)
>> with Tim.
>>
>> Yes, is a very small change.  But if you re-read my mail, I didn't
>> mention any particular person.  I just used generic pronouns.  I do
>> that, so my explanations can be applied to *anyone*, as we *all* must
>> follow these rules.
>>
>> When a lone person is singled out, it is taken to mean that the rules
>> or discussion only apply to the target, instead of all.
>
> Very good advice. I will strive to be less personal in the future.

For reference, I've been involved in *extremely* *very* *heated*
*fireball* *flame* *total* *destruction* email *wars*.  I've been
involved with debian for a long time(not so much lately); debian is
famous for it's, shall we say, email discussions.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>
> Adam Heath wrote:
>> David E Jones wrote:

>>> Where is the stone this is etched in? I don't recall ever seeing any fire from heaven that etched this into stone, and I don't
>>> remember ever discussing and agreeing to any such thing.
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
>
> Granted, the thing I am pointing out was quoted from me, but I wasn't
> the one who put it into that page.

Yes I added them, I often follow your advices about reviewing (and others as well) because I know you have this Debian experience.

Jacques

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>
> On Jan 26, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

>>> 1. anyone can change that page, and many have with no discussion or agreement
>>>
>>> 2. I don't see anything there about this required work that you speak of, except some vague ideas that appear to be copied (by
>>> Jacques?) from an email of yours
>>>
>>> -David
>>

>> BTW, it's a bit out of subject but I asked recently if we should stll maintain
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz, because if I recall well lately it was not done,
>> but nobody answered to my question.
>> So here it is again :o) should the community continue to maintain this document or not ? In other word are there still some
>> persons interested by this document? For what is it used now ?
>>
>> Without answers I will consider that it's not important anymore, but I don't think so, it could turn in a very convenient
>> document at any moment....
>
> This was a necessary document for the ASF incubation effort. While not so necessary now, it is nice to document the libraries
> included in OFBiz, their source, their license, and so on. This is helpful for contributors as well as users.
>
> If no one steps up to manage this document I guess it will deteriorate. We do need to maintain the NOTICE and LICENSE files,
> though we don't really "have to" maintain this page.
>
> -David

I do know that we need to maintain the NOTICE and LICENSE files. Actually my 1st question (some weeks ago) was more complete: if
this document is not updated each time a change happens in OFBiz then we should, at least, mark it as deprecated (or even completly
remove it?), else maybe someone will take it as reference, nothing worse than wrong documentation. We could for instance explain why
it's there, and mark it deprecated, but if anybody care to maintain it (I tried my best to do so, but I gave up recently as found
myself to be almost alone to do so) why not drop it simply ?

Opinions?

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Libraries included in ofbiz: was Re: svn commit: r902716 [1/2] - in /ofbiz/trunk: framework/images/webapp/images/rate/ specialpurpose/ebay/ specialpurpose/ebay/config/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/helpdata/ specialpurpose/ebay/ser

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
specialpurpose/ebay/ specialpurpose/ebay/config/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/helpdata/
specialpurpose/ebay/ser

> From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>
>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> BTW, it's a bit out of subject but I asked recently if we should stll
>>> maintain
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz,
>>> because if I recall well lately it was not done, but nobody answered to
>>> my question.
>>> So here it is again :o) should the community continue to maintain this
>>> document or not ? In other word are there still some persons interested
>>> by this document? For what is it used now ?
>>>
>>> Without answers I will consider that it's not important anymore, but I
>>> don't think so, it could turn in a very convenient document at any
>>> moment....
>>
>> That page needs to be automated.  Expand the syntax of LICENSE in
>> trunk, to include more metadata that is easier to extract, and convert
>> it into html.
>>
>> Having the same info copied to multiple places, maintained by hand, is
>> the wrong approach.
>>
>> ps: It's common etiquette to change the subject when converting one
>> thread to another discussion topic
>
> Yes, sorry for the thread hijacking, I wonder if this page is worth such a work, we could simply refer to NOTICE and LICENCE.
> I think in the meantime I will mark it as deprecated.
>
> Jacques

Done, marked http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz,
 as deprecated

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>

Libraries included in ofbiz: was Re: svn commit: r902716 [1/2] - in /ofbiz/trunk: framework/images/webapp/images/rate/ specialpurpose/ebay/ specialpurpose/ebay/config/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/helpdata/ specialpurpose/ebay/servicedef/ specialpurpose/ebay/src/org/

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>
> On Jan 26, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> David E Jones wrote:

>>> Where is the stone this is etched in? I don't recall ever seeing any fire from heaven that etched this into stone, and I don't
>>> remember ever discussing and agreeing to any such thing.
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
>
> 1. anyone can change that page, and many have with no discussion or agreement
>
> 2. I don't see anything there about this required work that you speak of, except some vague ideas that appear to be copied (by
> Jacques?) from an email of yours
>
> -David

BTW, it's a bit out of subject but I asked recently if we should stll maintain
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz, because if I recall well lately it was not done,
but nobody answered to my question.
So here it is again :o) should the community continue to maintain this document or not ? In other word are there still some persons
interested by this document? For what is it used now ?

Without answers I will consider that it's not important anymore, but I don't think so, it could turn in a very convenient document
at any moment....

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
I certainly wouldn't want to stand in the way of everyone getting what they're looking for... ;)

-David

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Wow David, you certainly seem to be fighting for the ability for people to NOT do things that everyone is clamoring for - review the commits in depth and break them up - why the resistance?  Do you not think that the committer should've broken this up?  Do you not think that the community would be in a better place if these practices were followed?  Shall the rest of us spend more time documenting this?

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Tim Ruppert wrote:
> This is agreed Adam - but since I was talking to a particular committer and a particular commit, I used the committer's name.  In the future, if this is our new policy, I'd be happy to simply refer to the committer as "committer".
>
> This was indeed meant for each and everyone with commit privileges, but this was a particularly egregious example of just slamming in code without reviewing it first (and blaming it on the contributor to boot) and really shouldn't be allowed going forward IMO.  As David mentioned, making code better is a group effort, and here's to hoping that the group gets more of a chance next time rather than it already being dumped into the system and getting to sort it out after the fact.

Of course, we all have to follow these same rules/guidelines as well.
 As everyone here is aware, I follow these guidelines very closely.
You've all seen my commit floods, where I'll do 10 or more commits in
rapid succession.  I use git to do this.

Just to be fair, I do not do development in small steps.  I do a
single large feature, committing whenever I feel like I need to save
my work.  During this development, I do not care at all what commit
messages I use.

When I finally get it done, I use git rebase -i, which allows me to
split up commits, combine commits, reorder then, change commit
messages, to get the new work in a functional, easy to digest state.
Then, once that is done, I can go and run the tests at any point along
that history, to verify things work correctly.  Once all that is
finally done, I end up doing the final commit flood back to svn.

Yes, this is more work.  That isn't the question.  But, when working
with a community project, it is one of the requirements that must be
followed.  We have all signed the CLA for apache; doing so meant we
also had to read what being a committer actually entailed.

Now, to get more personal.

Hans, if the reason you don't do commit breakups is because you don't
have time, then that is not a valid reason.  Being an ofbiz committer
*requires* you to do this extra work.  That is non-negotiable.

However, if you say you don't know how, or have no idea how to do
that, then that is ok; there are systems out there to help you with
that.  My favorite(wait for it, I bet you can't guess what I am going
to say) is git.  But even that is not nescessary.  At the very least,
use svn diff before you commit.  Learn to edit patch files
directly(adding/removing/changing chunks, order, adding lines in the
middle of a patch).  Use an editor that supports coloring of diffs(do
google searches).

ps: even before I started using git with ofbiz, I would do the same
workflow with plain-jane svn.  I just wouldn't commit anything, would
make copys of files and directories, would *retype the same set of
changes by hand*.  This is just something I've always done, and I just
consider it part of what I must do to work with other people.

pps: for customer based single use sites, I don't follow these steps;
 when code is a one-off implementation, I tend to do large commits.
However, if we(brainfood) decide that some customer code has something
that might be useful on our other sites, when I go to copy that code,
I then start splitting it up into small changes.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
> [...]

>>> It's not always easy for any of us, but I just don't see this from other people, so I wanted to remind Hans.  If all the other committers think this is ok (which obviously they didn't since Adam brought it up), then I'll happily back off.  Since that's not the case - and this obviously doesn't follow the best practices of the project - please let me know how I should encourage Hans to do what is clearly in our best practices. What should be done is that this mess of a commit should be reverted and put back in in pieces - you have to start somewhere and sometimes it's just not good enough when you have an entire community to just say you're trying hard.  My two cents.
>>> o:801.649.6594

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 26, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> No one is trying to make war. The details have been pointed out in previous threads and in Jira issues.

Yes, I am aware of this; and this is the right way to go, this with a lot of patience and perseverance
And just to be super clear: I was not accusing you (or anyone else) of trying to fight; I was just saying that general statements like the ones I have noticed could cause people being defensive, trying to demonstrate they are right instead of trying to understand how to make better code.

Jacopo

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> Jacopo,
>
> No one is trying to make war. The details have been pointed out in

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Jacopo,

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> I understand the concerns and remarks but please, let's try to stay focused on specific details (that needs to be fixed): only in this way the conversation will be useful and we will help each other to get better code.
> If instead we make general assumptions on other's work (like defining the effort of a committer "a mess" or the effort of a "beginner programmer") we will just end up with people being offended and defensive.
>
> "make code not war" :-)
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Jan 26, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> I didn't take your remark as condescending - in fact I agree with you. It isn't okay for any committer to simply pass the buck (or blame).
>>
>> If Hans seems to be a frequent target for commit remarks it is because he earned it. There have been too many times when he has checked in code that was written by beginner programmers without reviewing it first. Or he has changed code without understanding it first. Those behaviors have had a detrimental effect on the project.
>>
>> Please don't stop pushing for code quality and responsible commits. You have my support.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Tim Ruppert wrote:
>>> Not trying to - but sorry for the tone if it came across that way Hans.  I'm simply asking why it gets past the committer's desk as "I'm trying to get my people to provide smaller pieces" is an ok way of committing code.  Isn't that the responsibility of the committer to tell the person that's providing the code to go back to the drawing board and break it up?  Isn't that our job as committers?  And as the rest of the committers, isn't it our job to remind the offending committer to spend more time with the person who's providing the code so that we don't have to dig thru this much mess?
>>> It's not always easy for any of us, but I just don't see this from other people, so I wanted to remind Hans.  If all the other committers think this is ok (which obviously they didn't since Adam brought it up), then I'll happily back off.  Since that's not the case - and this obviously doesn't follow the best practices of the project - please let me know how I should encourage Hans to do what is clearly in our best practices. What should be done is that this mess of a commit should be reverted and put back in in pieces - you have to start somewhere and sometimes it's just not good enough when you have an entire community to just say you're trying hard.  My two cents.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ruppert
>>> --
>>> Tim Ruppert
>>> HotWax Media
>>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>> o:801.649.6594

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Tim,

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: general answer commit 902716 was: Re: svn commit: r902716 [1/2] - in /ofbiz/trunk: framework/images/webapp/images/rate/ specialpurpose/ebay/ specialpurpose/ebay/config/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/ specialpurpose/ebay/data/helpdata/ specialpurpose/ebay/servicedef/ specialpurpose/ebay/src/org/...

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Hans Bakker wrote:
> I used the statistics from Markmail at:
> http://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?q=ofbiz#query:ofbiz%20type%3Acheckins%
> 20list%3Aorg.apache.ofbiz.commits%20date%3A200901-200912%20+page:1
> +state:facets
>
> 2 or 3 the argument is still is valid.

Email list archives are not good enough.  Email can get lost.  I
checked the actual real source repository.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi all OFBiz supporters!

woooow you all had a busy day yesterday! I had a good night sleep when
most of it happened. Below the original message what started it all and
my answer on it.

And then another 58(!) messages followed the 2 below.

First my apologies if i did offend anybody with this commit. I think the
commit itself is very useful and we are not finished yet, but sure it
was big. As this was a complete new feature independent of the current
ebay component features I thought it was not such a problem. 10 small
updates in one go or one big one what is the difference if everything is
new and not related to existing code anyway. But as i said we will try
harder.

Reading all these messages, I see a lot of passion from a lot of people
with different interests. Some are solely technical oriented, others
more functional, others who only want improve existing functionality,
others who want new functionality and some want to improve the
documentation side of things.

So this is surely a good thing, with a big disadvantage: emotions.
Because of these emotions often things go in the personal direction. One
comment i can remember well:

Judge commits on the functional and technical benefits and ignore the
persons name who did it.

I am aware that some of my many commits (at the moment a bit less) but
last year an average of 3 per day, for 7 days a week sometimes have
errors. I always try to fix these as quick as we can. Why? because i
have the same passion as all of you.

So please lets work together, and build on each others work and not try
to brake it down.

Regards,
Hans

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.