Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2012/03/02 17:45:18 UTC

Changing defaults for dynamic partitioning and enforced bucketing?

All,
  Would it make sense to change the default configuration to set
hive.enforce.bucketing and hive.exec.dynamic.partition to true? I find
that I usually change them and I wonder what other peoples' experience
with them is.

Thoughts?
  Owen

RE: Changing defaults for dynamic partitioning and enforced bucketing?

Posted by "Aggarwal, Vaibhav" <va...@amazon.com>.
I am also in favor of setting hive.exec.dynamic.partition to true.

I agree with changing the hive.exec.dynamic.partitions.

I am not sure about enforcing hive.enforcing.bucketing. It can have a additional cost, which may or may not be needed. If we change this, we should trust the metastore completelely and also change hive.optimize.bucketmapjoin and hive.optimize.bucketmapjoin.sortedmerge to true.

This may break some legacy applications, but it may completely make sense for new setups.

Thanks,
-namit

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.