Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charles Michener <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2007/02/21 07:55:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 has recently begun to crash when reading a PhP file

I am using Apache 2.2.4 running on Windows XP SP2 as a PhP learning/development machine.  It has performed with no problems for several weeks. Starting today under localhost it will bring up the 'It Works!' html page but when I try to access a PhP page - the Apache program crashes (twice?). I can't see any configuration that may have been changed - the error log has as it's last entries:

[Tue Feb 20 22:38:42 2007] [notice] Child 1256: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Tue Feb 20 22:38:42 2007] [notice] Child 1256: Listening on port 80.
[Tue Feb 20 22:39:47 2007] [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting.

Any repair or debugging suggestions will be appreciated.

Charles

---------------------------------
Need Mail bonding?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 has recently begun to crash when reading a PhP file

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Paul Simon wrote:
> What version of PHP are you using?
>
> --- Charles Michener <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using Apache 2.2.4 running on Windows XP SP2 as a PhP learning/development machine.

Thanks for mentioning the version of Apache.  The version of PHP is also
needed to poke at your crash, as is what Dr Watson tells you about the
>>> CRASH HERE <<< or whatnot and a few lines above and below.

The brand new 5.2.1 has a serious memory allocation bug that's already
corrected on trunk and will be solved in 5.2.2 (5.2.0 did not have this
bug.)  Dunno if that is your issue.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 has recently begun to crash when reading a PhP file

Posted by Paul Simon <ge...@yahoo.com>.
What version of PHP are you using? Are you running PHP as CGI or are you loading the
php*apache.dll? What is the php page supposed to do? Are you using any php extensions? Have you
checked bugs.php.net?

I've had experiences with php*apache*.dll and the extension php_oci8.dll crashing apache 2.0,
causing the vague, "Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477." With php*apache*.dll,
I grabbed the latest version under snaps.php.net - it fixed the problem. With php_oci8.dll, I
reported it as a bug and it was fixed in the next release.