Posted to bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Gangwar, Manjari" <Ma...@ca.com> on 2004/02/22 16:08:02 UTC

BCEL with JDK 1.1.8

Hi All,

I am thinking of utilizing BCEL library for the lower versions of jdk, 1.1.8, etc, as these versions did not support jvmpi, profiler interface. I downloaded the BCEL.jar file from htpp://bcel.sourceforge.net Downloads page, where it says "JAR file (Class files only)", and tried the following:
D:\BCEL>\jdk1.1.8\bin\java.exe de.fub.bytecode.util.JavaWrapper hello
Hello World
So, as you see that seemed to work.

Now when downloaded the latest binary from apache, bcel-5.1.jar, it gives me the following error:
D:\BCEL>\jdk1.1.8\bin\java.exe org.apache.bcel.util.JavaWrapper hello
Error loading class org/apache/bcel/util/JavaWrapper: Bad major version number

So, then what I tried next was downloading the source from both bcel.sourceforge.net and apache, and compare the sources of "JavaWrapper.java" and "ClassLoader.java", and found that they are similar in terms of instruction set/operation...

I do see that on the bcel.sourceforge.net site, Installation page, it is mentioned that BCEL can be used with any JDK >= 1.1. And I verifieed that with the BCEL.jar file downloaded from this site.

So, could somebody please guide me to figure out why the latest jar file from apache does not work? The default classloader class in BCEL, "ClassLoader.java", looks like jdk 1.1 style classloader, but I could be wrong...

Thank You all, for your time and help, in advance.

Regards,
Manjari.