Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/03 12:25:26 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Bringing this one discuss thread to the top of the ML to get stronger consensus.

We need it if we want to request a move to GitHub.

Note that this is not about leaving the ASF, it is about using GitHub to its full potential.

The ASF board is investigating ways for a project to use Github and still maintain strong provenance of commits to keep the high quality and provenance standards of ASF code.

If we get consensus we can request to the board to be part of the “trial” and move to Github.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM, John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> All,
> [snip]
> 2. Attachments: A vital part of resolving issues are screenshots and logs.
> While people can gist or imgur this information, it is cumbersome. Many of
> these systems also purge information after some period of time — removing
> important information from long lived, unresolved ticket and/or reducing
> their historical value. I don’t know about others, but I search through
> ticket history a few times a week to understand the history of issues and
> when they have been fixed. I often look at the attachments to determine
> whether or not the issue I am debugging matches the ticket.

Just a FYI, GitHub issues does support attachments. It is probably not as
elegant as in other solutions, but it is there.

--
Erik

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

I am +1 to make Github the “repo of record” for the record. I believe it has been suggested to keep a secondary, read-only mirror of the repo on ASF which seems like a prudent, low effort backup.

Personally, I think both Confluence and Github are fairly poor wiki implementations. Therefore, I am +0 on moving the wiki to Github so long as we can maintain the content that has already been created. While some of the content in the existing wiki is a bit out of date, I think it would be a mistake to “throw the baby out with the bathwater”. So long as moving the wiki to Github doesn’t mean starting over, it makes little difference to me if it is Confluence or Github.

I am no fan of JIRA. I think it is clunky, bloated, and overly complicated — particularly in its default configuration. It also requires additional registration and approval for users to interact with the project which I deeply dislike. However, as much as I dislike JIRA, my experience with Github issues has been worse. Where JIRA attempts to do too much, Github issues simply can’t do many things. In particular, we need the following features in a ticketing system which are not currently provided by Github Issues:

1. Private Tickets: We must have an avenue for security researchers, developers, and users to responsibly inform the project about security issues and track resolution. This process is necessarily confined to the reporter and security team until a resolution is found.
2. Attachments: A vital part of resolving issues are screenshots and logs. While people can gist or imgur this information, it is cumbersome. Many of these systems also purge information after some period of time — removing important information from long lived, unresolved ticket and/or reducing their historical value. I don’t know about others, but I search through ticket history a few times a week to understand the history of issues and when they have been fixed. I often look at the attachments to determine whether or not the issue I am debugging matches the ticket.
3. History Import: While less important than the previous two items, a single source to comprehend history is very useful. Our current JIRA is a rich corpus of project’s previous problems and their resolutions. Splitting that corpus across two repositories would be a step backwards in my mind.

I would imagine there are additional gaps between JIRA and Github Issues functionality as Github Issues is an extremely simplistic ticking system. For these reasons, I am -1 on moving to Github Issues.

Thanks,
-John

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
John Burwell
ShapeBlue

d:      +44 (20) 3603 0542 | s: +1 (571) 403-2411 <tel:+44%20(20)%203603%200542%20|%20s:%20+1%20(571)%20403-2411>

e:      john.burwell@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:john.burwell@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image7b7e2d.png@57e35166.4d8951a3]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> | CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/> | CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> | CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by "humbedooh@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.

------

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok, nice to see we have in the open what possible problems are. That said
and as we are, my experience as RM leads me to say we should move sooner
rather then later. explenation of my not always 100% clear communication
methods: :+1:!!!

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Jan 11, 2016, at 11:15 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>

> On 11-01-16 10:56, sebgoa wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sebastien

>>> Out of curiosity, it seems the main problem is that we are using the
>>> apache account of github.
>>
>> indeed
>>

>>> Why don't we create an own one?
>>>
>>> e.g. github.com/cloudstackdev
>>>

>> we do have github.com/cloudstack already
>>
>>> --> PR merge on  github.com/cloudstackdev
>>> --> hook to jenkins job pushing it to git http://git.apache.org
>>> --> will be mirrored to https://github.com/apache/cloudstack
>>>
>>> Did I miss anything why this would not be possible?
>>>

>> this is exactly what "moving to github" would mean.
>>
>> if we agree to do this, we then need to work with infra and the board to make sure everything is ok in terms of provenance and that it does not "break" our ASF "commitment"
>>

> We can always change the bylaws and make GPG keys for commits mandatory?
> That way we can always prove who made the commit.

I have tested this and participated in a test with another ASF member, apparently the board did not think that was enough.

>>> The only thing would be that we can not push to http://git.apache.org
>>> directly anymore.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> René

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
On 01/11/2016 10:56 AM, sebgoa wrote:

> this is exactly what "moving to github" would mean.
> if we agree to do this, we then need to work with infra and the board to make sure everything is ok in terms of provenance and that it does not "break" our ASF "commitment"

I see. Thanks for info.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 11, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> wrote:

> Hi Sebastien
>
> On 01/11/2016 09:53 AM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
>> Part 3:
>> ————
>>
>> To me the main issue for us is that our current privileges on GitHub prevent us from building more productive CI workflow and makes the life of the RM more difficult (cannot use labels, cannot use issues, cannot configured triggers/hooks etc). ...
>
> Out of curiosity, it seems the main problem is that we are using the
> apache account of github.

indeed

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Sebastien

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Jan 10, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> people, what we are saying by moving to github, completely is that, for
> now, we will be moving away from apache. Apache can not take responsibility
> for any code that is not under it's control.

Daan, thanks for jumping right in.

Part 1:
--------

As VP I started this thread and clearly I am *not* advocating leaving Apache.

- They are other Apache projects asking to host their repo on github with full access to github features. We are not alone.

- There is an experiment going on with the Apache Whimsy project to see how being hosted on GitHub could be accomplished and still fulfill requirements of the ASF. The board is aware of these demands and is trying to get data to see how this could be done.

- What I am looking for in this discussion, is to get a consensus in our community on whether we would like to make this move or not.

Leave aside the problems. Imagine an ASF project can still be an ASF project even if hosted on GitHub. Would we do this ?

Part 2 :
———

There are indeed issues with such a move, but I think the lines are more blurry than we think.

1-ASF projects already used proprietary software (hosted or not hosted on ASF infra, think JIRA, Hipchat, Slack)
2- Moving to GitHub would require all committers to get accounts on GitHub, so we would be forcing folks to get registered with a third party hosted service.
That said we already do this, since this is our commit workflow.
3- ASF would loose control on push logs (this is the main pain point for the board, as far as I can tell). This means that if there was any problems/inquiry from lawyers about who made which commits (provenance of the code), ASF may not have the info required.
4- The line is blurry, until couple years ago, ASF did not keep all push logs -even for svn-, so inquiries mentioned in 3- would not be able to be answered anyway (this is my understanding, this may not be 100% accurate)
5- ASF seems to keep some logs on IP addresses of commits, a potential privacy law issue, especially in the EU.
6- Git commits can be PGP signed, so committers could commit with their ASF PGP keys, I don’t see what better source of provenance you could find.

Part 3:
————

To me the main issue for us is that our current privileges on GitHub prevent us from building more productive CI workflow and makes the life of the RM more difficult (cannot use labels, cannot use issues, cannot configured triggers/hooks etc). We want things to be easy and should work on removing barriers to productivity. That’s the reason I am advocating that we make such a move.

Indeed

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
people, what we are saying by moving to github, completely is that, for
now, we will be moving away from apache. Apache can not take responsibility
for any code that is not under it's control. This is fine, but to satisfy

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github

Posted by chunfeng tian <ti...@gmail.com>.