Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Muhammad Afzal <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/26 22:12:10 UTC

Hadoop Performance Counters

Hi,
I recently started working on Hadoop performance metric based tool, i need
help to understand the following Hadoop counters:

*CPU*
SLOTS_MILLIS_MAPS/SLOTS_MILLIS_REDUCES vs
MILLIS_MAPS/MILLIS_REDUCES  vs
VCORES_MILLIS_MAPS/VCORES_MILLIS_REDUCES vs
CPU_MILLISECONDS

*Memory*MB_MILLIS_MAPS/MB_MILLIS_REDUCES  vs
PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES  vs
VIRTUAL_MEMORY_BYTES

1. Could anyone please explain the differences or point me to a link where
i can find above counters details
2. Does VCORES_MILLIS_MAPS reflect total cpu time spent for all map tasks?
3. What are the best metrics to  find out cpu/memory usage cost for a job?

Thanks in advance for your precious time

Regards
Afzal