Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com> on 2017/11/16 22:35:16 UTC

Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

I've downloaded the 64 bit Linux RPM package and verified it with
md5sum.  However, when I try to install, I get an error message:

Error: INVALID:openoffice-ure-4.1.4-9788.x86_64 (OpenOffice): Signature
verification failed [6-File is unsigned]

Header SHA1 digest: OK (519d55bb033c77cede4248050dd996f4feae5d08)

MD5 digest: OK (62b9b1472673d61e3184f36289aba1f6)

Package is not signed!

Has anyone else experienced this?

tnx jk

Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Please stop trolling. If you don't like it take it up with moderators. You are wasting bandwidth.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Be civilized. OpenOffice is used worldwide. The individual is truly trying to be helpful and different cultures have different manners.

Best Regards, Shalom, and Salaam,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

Posted by Elaine <sa...@aol.com>.
Religion, politics and anything to add to those have no business in a tech forum.

The best job goes to the person who can get it done without passing the buck or coming back with excuses. ~~ Napoleon Hill

If this religious injection does not stop, I find it sufficiently offensive
to totally walk away from this discussion group.

Please purge that Muslim evangelist out of this group for his offensive
post.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Mike <Mi...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Exactly!  He can discuss OO without proselytising his religion.  I also
> find it offensive, intrusive and irritating.
>
> Mike Shearer
>
> On 18/11/2017 9:41 am, John Hart wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2017 5:11 AM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> God bless you!
>>>>
>>> I find that offensive.  Religion is delusion, which has no place in the
>>> real world.
>>>
>> Just because you have a defective concept of God, is no reason for
>> starting
>> a flame war on this list. He provided links that may or not be relevant,
>> comments about them are useful, discussions about religion have no place
>> in this list!

Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
PO Box 834
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by Howard Blum <ho...@gmail.com>.
If this religious injection does not stop, I find it sufficiently offensive
to totally walk away from this discussion group.

Please purge that Muslim evangelist out of this group for his offensive
post.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Mike <Mi...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Exactly!  He can discuss OO without proselytising his religion.  I also
> find it offensive, intrusive and irritating.
>
> Mike Shearer
>
> On 18/11/2017 9:41 am, John Hart wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2017 5:11 AM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> God bless you!
>>>>
>>> I find that offensive.  Religion is delusion, which has no place in the
>>> real world.
>>>
>> Just because you have a defective concept of God, is no reason for
>> starting
>> a flame war on this list. He provided links that may or not be relevant,
>> comments about them are useful, discussions about religion have no place
>> in this list!

Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
PO Box 834
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Obviously he has that as a signature for all outgoing email... There is almost nothing of substance that someone won't find offensive, including open office. Your only remedy is probably too have the list automatically remove all signatures.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Posted by Mike <Mi...@westnet.com.au>.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2017-11-17, 8:17 PM James Knott wrote:

> On 11/17/2017 06:41 PM, John Hart wrote:
>> discussions about religion have no place in this list!
> And that is why he shouldn't have included his comment in the first place!

Jeez! All this vitriol being spewed out by those intolerant bigots who think ending a message
with "hope that help, God bless you!" is offensive.

Heil the intolerant ones.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 11/17/2017 02:08 AM, zahra a wrote:
> hello.
> i did not think that linux like mac needs to install signed programs!
> i searched for you in google and found these two links about
> installing unsigned programs on linux.
> hear you are the links, hope that help,
I'm running openSUSE, but I don't think the check is used in the same
way as a Mac, but rather just ensuring it came from where it claims to be.

Posted by zahra a <na...@gmail.com>.
hello.
i did not think that linux like mac needs to install signed programs!
i searched for you in google and found these two links about
installing unsigned programs on linux.
hear you are the links, hope that help, God bless you!

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862567/ubuntu-16-10-software-center-cannot-install-from-unsigned-repo

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/31116/how-do-i-install-unsigned-packages-using-yum/

On 11/17/17, Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed yesterday on openSUSE Tumbleweed with no problems.
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM, James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>> I've downloaded the 64 bit Linux RPM package and verified it with
>> md5sum.  However, when I try to install, I get an error message:
>>
>> Error: INVALID:openoffice-ure-4.1.4-9788.x86_64 (OpenOffice): Signature
>> verification failed [6-File is unsigned]
>>
>> Header SHA1 digest: OK (519d55bb033c77cede4248050dd996f4feae5d08)
>>
>> MD5 digest: OK (62b9b1472673d61e3184f36289aba1f6)
>>
>> Package is not signed!
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
>> tnx jk

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org

Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
James Knott wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 02:42 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> We only sign the .tar.gz archive and signatures are in the .asc file
>> corresponding to the archive you downloaded. So in your case the
>> signature could be verified this way:
>> 1. Download
>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.asc
>>
>> 2. Run gpg --verify
>> Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.asc
>
> When I try that, I get:
> gpg: Signature made Thu 12 Oct 2017 11:18:37 AM EDT using RSA key ID
> 791485A8
> gpg: Can't check signature: No public key

OK. This is expected if you didn't import the keys. For it to succeed,
download to the same directory:
1.
http://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.asc
2.
http://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
3. http://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/KEYS

Then run:
$ gpg --import KEYS
$ gpg --verify
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.asc

This will tell you that the .tar.gz file has a valid signature by Jim,
Release Manager for 4.1.4. It might still complain that it can't verify
that the key belongs to the reported owner, but you will have to trust
the KEYS file for this.

This won't solve your problem with YaST at all, since this applies to
the archive as a whole, not to the contents.

>> What command do you use for installation? RPM directly, something like
>> "rpm -Uvh *.rpm"? Or some interface to it? There is probably some
>> setting that you should disable in order for it to trust "unsigned"
>> packages (again, ours ARE signed; just, we sign the archive but not
>> the individual packages).
> I use the Yast software software management utility.  I create a
> repository by copying the contents of the downloaded file to a directory
> and then tell the Yast software management to update.  I've been using
> this method for years and it's never failed before.

I don't think this depends on how we packaged 4.1.4. I would be
surprised if you get something different with 4.1.3, or any earlier
release. Is it possible that some upgrade enforced YaST to reject
unsigned packages?

I see the same error being reported here:
https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/15418 for another project, and being
tracked down to a YaST/OS issue. In that case they could solve it by
signing the package, but in our case we already sign the .tar.gz, just
YaST likely cannot see or handle it. So you will have to disable some
YaST settings to get it to behave as it did in earlier times.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Problems with Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 17/11/2017 James Knott wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 07:28 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
>> I just installed yesterday on openSUSE Tumbleweed with no problems.
> I'm on Leap 42.3.

Coming back to the original technical issue...

Posted by zahra a <na...@gmail.com>.
okay, i did not say that discuss it in a public forum, i just answer
your question in one sentence and i am ready to help you and anyone
who has questions about islam, its message and purpose etc.
you and anyone can feel free to email me off list and ask your
questions without any worried!
God bless you all!

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.

Posted by zahra a <na...@gmail.com>.