Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/30 21:46:09 UTC

Re: svn commit: r451649 - /lucene/nutch/trunk/CHANGES.txt

pkosiorowski@apache.org wrote:
> Author: pkosiorowski
> Date: Sat Sep 30 12:38:30 2006
> New Revision: 451649

welcome back!

--
  Sami Siren

Re: svn commit: r451649 - /lucene/nutch/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Posted by JP Nutch <jp...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

  I would like to throw my vote for moving to 0.9 release
  as soon as possible. My main reasons:
  1. My Nutch-based application code is Java 1.5
  2. It will easier for the Nutch team to upgade/keep in sync to
      the latest Hadoop releases

  Best regards:
  jp

Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org> wrote:
  Sami Siren wrote:

>> Example: we should upgrade branch 0.8 to use hadoop-0.5, but we will
>
> Wouldn't this change the requirement for java version also from 1.4 to 5?

AFAIR hadoop 0.5 is still 1.4 compatible (something to be checked,
though ...)

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki <><

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.

Re: svn commit: r451649 - /lucene/nutch/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Sami Siren wrote:
> Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
>>
>> I am looking at some easy JIRA issues to get back into Nutch now. I have
>> not seen any plans for releases on the list (I might have missed
>> something a but I tried to at least read the nutch lists) - do we have
>> some plans? Do we want to make a 0.8.2 release or rather go for 0.9 in
>> near (lets say - few months) future?
>
> There is no concrete plans on 0.9.0 yet. IMO committing fixes to 0.8
> branch is worth the effort as long as we do not know better, with new
> features to 0.8 I would think twice.
>
> What do others think?

Well, as the name suggests, we should commit only bug fixes to 0.8.x,
and new features should be committed to 0.9 - unless there are very
strong reasons to port some feature to the 0.8 branch, which we can
discuss case-by-case.

Example: we should upgrade branch 0.8 to use hadoop-0.5, but we will
never upgrade it to use hadoop-0.6.x  - this version should go to the
current trunk, which will become 0.9 release at some point in time.

Another example: obeying "nocache" meta robots extension. I have a patch
which implements this. Although not a part of the standard, it is
significant from the legal point of view for those Nutch installations
that operate publicly. IMHO this is a feature that we may consider
adding to branch 0.8, as well as to trunk.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: svn commit: r451649 - /lucene/nutch/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Posted by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.
I am looking at some easy JIRA issues to get back into Nutch now. I have
not seen any plans for releases on the list (I might have missed
something a but I tried to at least read the nutch lists) - do we have
some plans? Do we want to make a 0.8.2 release or rather go for 0.9 in
near (lets say - few months) future?
Is committing fixes on 0.8 branch worth the effort?

Piotr