Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/14 04:13:52 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.8.0-incubating (rc4)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark
(incubating) version 0.8.1.

The tag to be voted on is v0.8.1-incubating (commit b87d31d):
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/repo?p=incubator-spark.git;a=commit;h=b87d31dd8eb4b4e47c0138e9242d0dd6922c8c4e

The release files, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-0.8.1-incubating-rc4/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-040/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-0.8.1-incubating-rc4-docs/

For information about the contents of this release see:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-spark.git;a=blob;f=CHANGES.txt;h=ce0aeab524505b63c7999e0371157ac2def6fe1c;hb=branch-0.8

A vote on this release has passed within the Spark PPMC [1].

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Spark 0.8.1-incubating!

The vote is open until Tuesday, December 17th at 03:30 UTC and
passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 IPMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 0.8.1-incubating

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see
http://spark.incubator.apache.org/

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201312.mbox/%3CCABPQxsuEYMn_JE0qEOcrt4J5-N1PJWgGcN7m0qzNefW7fsz2PA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

(Note that at present the concluding message isn't shown due to lag in the
mail archives.)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.8.0-incubating (rc4)

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Chris,

Okay we'll focus on that distribution path for the 0.9.0 release. Thanks!

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marvin and Joe,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
The core issue is that what you are currently doing was actually the recommended way of dealing with external dependencies back when maven central didn't exist.

We changed course a few years ago based on Roy's complaints about source packages consisting solely of source code.  I don't remember precisely when nor do I remember any formal process vote indicating a change which in retrospect might have helped lessen the confusion but it was a foundation wide problem not just an incubator issue.

In this situation I'd like to say go ahead and complete the release and just fix this prior to graduation.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
> However they both contain binaries, which is not good.
> Third party jars should *not* be included in SCM nor in source releases.

These are not binary artifacts containing our project's code. They are
our build tool and immediate dependencies that are not published in
maven. I've looked around to find TL projects that also use sbt and
they also include the sbt jar in the source release. For instance
Apache Kafka does the same thing:

https://kafka.apache.org/downloads.html

> Where is the KEYS file?
The keys file is here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/spark/KEYS

This is where we put it based on the incubator release guidelines.
Were you actually asking where the file was or suggesting it is
required to include it in VOTE threads?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.8.0-incubating (rc4)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 December 2013 03:13, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark
> (incubating) version 0.8.1.
>
> The tag to be voted on is v0.8.1-incubating (commit b87d31d):
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/repo?p=incubator-spark.git;a=commit;h=b87d31dd8eb4b4e47c0138e9242d0dd6922c8c4e

> The release files, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
> http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-0.8.1-incubating-rc4/

The source archive agrees with the tag, which is good.

However they both contain binaries, which is not good.
Third party jars should *not* be included in SCM nor in source releases.

> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

Where is the KEYS file?

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-040/

> http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-0.8.1-incubating-rc4-docs/

Not a blocker for the release artifacts themselves, but should be
fixed before any release announcement:

The download page

http://spark.incubator.apache.org/downloads.html

includes a link to the directory containing the sigs and hashes, but
does not link to the KEYS file.
Also it is normal to provide some instructions as to how to do the verification.

The website still invites users to sign up for the Spark 2013
conference which is over.

> For information about the contents of this release see:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-spark.git;a=blob;f=CHANGES.txt;h=ce0aeab524505b63c7999e0371157ac2def6fe1c;hb=branch-0.8
>
> A vote on this release has passed within the Spark PPMC [1].
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Spark 0.8.1-incubating!
>
> The vote is open until Tuesday, December 17th at 03:30 UTC and

s/until/until at least/

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
> * only key from one committer, without his apache email address
I'll generate a key w/ my apache address for the next release. So far
we've only had one release manager so there is only one key.

> * few dependencies retrieved from out of maven central
This has been covered extensively in this thread and there is an
actionable plan for our next major release.

> * some libraries' binaries distributed with the source code
Directly related to the last point.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.8.0-incubating (rc4)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi,

although the basics looks fine:

* keys checked
* builds fine on a clean environment

I got some warnings that should be fixed in future releases:

* only key from one committer, without his apache email address
* few dependencies retrieved from out of maven central
* some libraries' binaries distributed with the source code

I'm not an expert on SBT, and I'm not sure why you need both...

On 14/12/13 04:13, Patrick Wendell wrote:
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Spark 0.8.1-incubating!
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 0.8.1-incubating

Therefore I do not feel comfortable accepting the release, so I have to
vote +0 until those issue are clarified (see also further discussions in
this thread).

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.8.0-incubating (rc4)

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
I wanted to add as an epilogue to this vote relating to the discussion
regarding binaries in source releases.

As of today, we've removed binary artifacts from the Spark source
distribution  per [1]. Consequently, Spark 0.9.0 (the next release)
should be in compliance with this policy.

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/repo?p=incubator-spark.git;a=commitdiff;h=10fe23bc34bcc8c25fb5440b71a6be883523e4dc;hp=c4d6145f7fde8a516024e886314bf8fecde817ea

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding) from me as well.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding) from me as well.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Marvin,

These are not actually files compiled from our source code, but third-party dependencies that are not published to Maven. SBT is a Scala-based build tool where you need that JAR to run. Where exactly is the policy on including these kinds of JARs?

The reason we went with them is because we saw other projects do it. For example, Kafka, which also builds using SBT, ships with sbt.jar.

Matei

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb, thanks for the review.

When you said "However they both contain binaries, which is not good."
were you talking about the "spark-0.8.1-incubating-bin-* files ?

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
NOTICE, LICENSE, and README files looks good.
Checksum and signatures on the source jar looks good.

Per comments by Marvin and sebb, Spark will resolve the included jar
files in the source distribution in next release of 0.9 I am giving:
  +1
since this is 0.8.1 release which really hard to change build packaging.

We'll get it right for 0.9.