Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Brian Wheeler <bd...@wombat.educ.indiana.edu> on 2000/10/26 16:13:50 UTC

Sticking Environment with Apache::ASP

I'm having trouble with using $Request->ServerVariables() in Apache::ASP.
After 6 requests (always), the last requested page gets returned, regardless
of what is actually being passed.  I'm using PATH_INFO to pass information.
Coincedentally (or is it?) there are 6 httpd processes running.

If I make a change to the script or restart the server, it works fine for
the first 6 requests.  I'm passing the output through AxKit via Apache::Filter.

Here's the relevant sections of the involved files:

--- test.asp ---
<%
$env=$Request->ServerVariables();

    foreach (sort(keys(%$env))) {
	print "<item>$_ = ",$env->{$_},"</item>\n";
    }
%>

--- httpd.conf ---
## Set up Apache::ASP
PerlModule Apache::ASP
<FilesMatch "\.asp$">
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlSetVar Filter On
  AxCacheDir /tmp/axkit
  AxProvider Apache::AxKit::Provider::Filter
  PerlHandler Apache::ASP AxKit
  AuthName Nothing
  PerlSetVar Global /tmp/asp_cache
  AxAddStyleMap text/xsl Apache::AxKit::Language::Sablot
  AxAddStyleMap application/x-xpathscript Apache::AxKit::Language::XPathScript
  AxAddStyleMap application/x-xsp Apache::AxKit::Language::XSP
</FilesMatch>

Thanks!
Brian Wheeler
bdwheele@indiana.edu

Re: Sticking Environment with Apache::ASP

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Brian Wheeler wrote:

> I'm having trouble with using $Request->ServerVariables() in Apache::ASP.
> After 6 requests (always), the last requested page gets returned, regardless
> of what is actually being passed.  I'm using PATH_INFO to pass information.
> Coincedentally (or is it?) there are 6 httpd processes running.
>
> If I make a change to the script or restart the server, it works fine for
> the first 6 requests.  I'm passing the output through AxKit via Apache::Filter.

Sound like a browser caching issue, which normally
occurs because of particular headers that are sent
back.  Anything in your request chain could be adding
those headers, like Expires.  What do you get from the
request if you do:

  lwp-request -edS http://$URL

There is also the possibility that AxKit is assuming the
source to be static, and is caching things at that level?
Its worth investigating at least.

BTW, I think what you are trying to do here is very cool.

--Joshua

Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Re: Sticking Environment with Apache::ASP

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Brian Wheeler wrote:

> I'm having trouble with using $Request->ServerVariables() in Apache::ASP.
> After 6 requests (always), the last requested page gets returned, regardless
> of what is actually being passed.  I'm using PATH_INFO to pass information.
> Coincedentally (or is it?) there are 6 httpd processes running.

Try investigating with httpd -X

Try also http://perl.apache.org/guide

I'll bet Josh knows something too, but he's very busy right now.

73,
Ged.