Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anne & Larry Brunelle <br...@acm.org> on 2002/03/28 20:12:36 UTC

Dumb question about Tomcat & SSI

Have been hassling about with Tomcat 4.0.2 (on RedHat 7.2) to
try to get it to do SSI.  If I follow the instructions by

o renaming the .renametojar file to .jar   and
o uncommenting the servlet mappings in the web.xml file,

and then shutting down and restarting, Tomcat ceases
even to deliver its own root page (error 404).  It IS running,
for I get the Tomcat error messages from port 8080.

It is sufficient to re-comment the servlet mappings and
restart to make the kitty happy again - but of course it
then knows nothing of SSI.

BTW, Apache, running concurrently, doesn't choose to do SSI
either.  My initial include statement follows (and I can
put ANYthing in the included file and still have the contents
nicely ignored by Apache).  Yes, the file with the include
has a suffix of .shtml.

<!--#include virtual="detectBrowser.html" -->

Everything is pretty close to box-stock from the RedHat
distribution; I'm just learning my way around at this point.

Would appreciate ANY help.  Thanks!!

Larry Brunelle
brunelle@acm.org