Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> on 2006/02/09 17:13:11 UTC

Fwd: Licensing compatibility with MySQL

I posted this to members@, where Susan suggested legal-discuss.
I expect this will bounce, but I'll try anyway.

Susan - can you please repost if this doesn't show up on the list?

Please Cc: me any replies.

Not sure if this is the right list, but legal issues presumably
concern members.

The apr_dbd package has a MySQL driver.  I wrote it a couple
of years ago, and released it from my own site as GPL, to comply
with MySQL's GPL licensing terms.  However, I haven't been
maintaining it: indeed, I just realised it's 13 months since I even
had MySQL running in my own test setup.

For my part, I'd be happy in principle to relicense the driver under
ASF license and commit it to apr-util, where it stands a better
chance of being adequately maintained.

MySQL seem to permit this nowadays:
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html

However, I'd still like legal guidance before taking advantage of
that, and my attempts in the past to contact MySQL have met
with no response (except to put me on their spam list).
Ideally I think the ASF should hold a document from MySQL AB
saying they're happy for us to maintain the driver and
distribute it on ASF terms.

Any thoughts?

--
Nick Kew