Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru> on 2003/07/07 11:07:23 UTC

Re[2]: [DBCP] cpdsadapter needs a Statement implementation

Hello John!

JM> In jdbc2+, a connection pool would not normally wrap a DataSource or
JM> Driver.  The specification is written so that vendors supply a
JM> ConnectionPoolDataSource (CPDS) which would normally be used by a
JM> pooling DataSource.

JM> Jdbc2PoolDataSource is written to use a CPDS.  I created
JM> DriverAdapterCPDS, so that it can still be used with jdbc
JM> implementations that do not yet implement the newer specification.

BTW (OT), it would be nice to clearly formulate the advice of
which to use: vendor-provided CPDS or CPDSAdapter over the
old jdbc driver?

For instance I have been long wondering (and still am)
what is better for MySQL, for instance.

If the advice is to prefer (for any reason) the vendor
provided CPDS over jdbc1 driver wrapped into CPDSAdapter
it would be nice to state this in the docs.

-Anton