Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Flynn <pf...@imbolc.ucc.ie> on 2002/06/05 17:26:29 UTC

Still nothing served

I'm still having no luck getting Cocoon to serve me a file of my own.
It's working fine for the distro files, docs, etc.

I added this to sitemap.xmap:

      <map:match pattern="foo/**">
	<map:generate src="foo/foo.xml"/>
	<map:transform src="foo/foo.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize type="html"/>
      </map:match>

(in the space just above the example <map:match pattern="**/">)

The intention is to test if Cocon will serve a request for
localhost:8080/coocon/foo/{anything} by responding with the
transformed result of a single named XML file through a single named
XSL file and nothing else (this being the simplest possible static
case).

I created a directory foo in the installation directory
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b2-01-LE-jdk14/webapps/cocoon

I put in there a 2-line foo.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<foo>bar</foo>

and a short foo.xsl to transform it to HTML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
  <xsl:output method="html"/>
  <xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="foo">
    <h1>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </h1>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

(which all works: you can see it in Cocoon-1 at http://www.ucc.ie/tmp/foo.xml)

When I load the URL http://oimelc.ucc.ie:8080/cocoon/foo/ I get
nothing at all: the browser (Moz 1.0) spins its wheels and waits and
waits and waits and nothing happens. The log file says:

143.239.128.48 - - [05/Jun/2002:14:49:33 00] "GET /cocoon/foo/foo.xml HTTP/1.1" 200 3854

so something is happening...but what? And why no response?

a. Do I have to shutdown and startup Cocoon every time I change
   sitemap.xmap? I've tried with and without and it seems to have
   no effect.

b. What directory is the match pattern relative to? This is not
   specified in the docs, so I'm guessing the directory within
   webapps where Tomcat created cocoon/ from coocon.war when it
   was installed (the one quoted above).

c. There is clearly something wrong with my syntax or assumptions
   but it is not clear what.

///Peter

RE: Still nothing served

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Peter Flynn [mailto:pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie]
>
> I'm still having no luck getting Cocoon to serve me a file of my own.
> It's working fine for the distro files, docs, etc.
>
> I added this to sitemap.xmap:
>
>       <map:match pattern="foo/**">
> 	<map:generate src="foo/foo.xml"/>
> 	<map:transform src="foo/foo.xsl"/>
> 	<map:serialize type="html"/>
>       </map:match>
>
> (in the space just above the example <map:match pattern="**/">)
>
> The intention is to test if Cocon will serve a request for
> localhost:8080/coocon/foo/{anything} by responding with the
> transformed result of a single named XML file through a single named
> XSL file and nothing else (this being the simplest possible static
> case).
>
> I created a directory foo in the installation directory
> jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b2-01-LE-jdk14/webapps/cocoon
>
> I put in there a 2-line foo.xml:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <foo>bar</foo>
>
> and a short foo.xsl to transform it to HTML:

> version="1.0">
>   <xsl:output method="html"/>
>   <xsl:template match="/">
>         <xsl:apply-templates/>
>   </xsl:template>
>   <xsl:template match="foo">
>     <h1>
>       <xsl:apply-templates/>
>     </h1>
>   </xsl:template>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> (which all works: you can see it in Cocoon-1 at
http://www.ucc.ie/tmp/foo.xml)

> When I load the URL http://oimelc.ucc.ie:8080/cocoon/foo/ I get
> nothing at all: the browser (Moz 1.0) spins its wheels and waits and
> waits and waits and nothing happens. The log file says:
>
> 143.239.128.48 - - [05/Jun/2002:14:49:33 00] "GET /cocoon/foo/foo.xml
> HTTP/1.1" 200 3854

You should see cocoon logs, not some other logs.

> so something is happening...but what? And why no response?
>
> a. Do I have to shutdown and startup Cocoon every time I change
>    sitemap.xmap? I've tried with and without and it seems to have
>    no effect.

Depends on configuration. Read cocoon.xconf.

> b. What directory is the match pattern relative to?

Current sitemap directory. For root sitemap, this is webapp context
directory.

Vadim