Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tsabolov Sergey <ec...@uom.gr> on 2010/02/08 15:52:12 UTC

Hi to all

I have some little problem with  SpamAssassin

SpamAssassin  with MailScanner .

I set the rule  in mailscanner

# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Cache SpamAssassin Results = yes

SpamAssassin Cache Database File =
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin.cache.db

I now the 3 days file  grows to very big file
SpamAssaissin output

SpamAssassin cache hit for message  is output for every mail  who marked
like spam

Server is Ubuntu 8.04.3  with  SpamAssassin version 3.2.4  and
MailScanner version 4.58.9

Ho I can fix it ?

Re: Hi to all

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
On 2/8/2010 9:52 AM, Tsabolov Sergey wrote:
> I have some little problem with  SpamAssassin
>
> SpamAssassin  with MailScanner .
>
> I set the rule  in mailscanner
>
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Cache SpamAssassin Results = yes
>
> SpamAssassin Cache Database File =
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin.cache.db
>
> I now the 3 days file  grows to very big file
> SpamAssaissin output
>
> SpamAssassin cache hit for message  is output for every mail  who marked
> like spam
>
> Server is Ubuntu 8.04.3  with  SpamAssassin version 3.2.4  and
> MailScanner version 4.58.9
>
> Ho I can fix it ?

Disable the cache?

Seriously, if your mail volume is really high, the size of the cache is
going to be large. Also, since it's a SQLite file, it won't shrink
itself. The DB will mark entries as deleted, but will leave the space
for use when inserting new entries, which means the size is going to end
up being based on your peak mail load, not your recent mail load. In the
long run, this is good behavior, because the file isn't shrinking and
growing all the time, which wastes time as the kernel repeatedly updates
the inodes.

You could try changing the SpamAssassin Cache Timings setting, to make
the cache entries shorter-lived, which will reduce the scale of the
problem somewhat.

http://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Cache%20SpamAssassin%20Results

I'd also consider asking on the MailScanner mailing list. This is a
MailScanner-specific issue, and there are more MailScanner users over
there than there are on this list.