Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "David G." <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/04 15:11:46 UTC

using com.sun.* in bundles

I am creating a bundle for felix that uses com.sun.crypto.providers.SunJCE

I thought that com.sun.* was exposed to the container via the JVM,
however Im getting class not found exceptions when I execute my
bundle.

What the best way for allowing com.sun.* packages to resolve in an
OSGi Bundle under felix? (My Import-Package is *, but when i look at
my bundles under felix is complains it can find com.sun.crypto.

Im ultimately trying to get a cryptography provider so i can securely
hash values.

Thanks

Re: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi David

I think the best approach is to work with framework fragment bundle that
cause the system bundle to expose additional packages, see
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/frameworkfragment/for
an example. An alternative would be to set the boot-delegation
property
at startup.

In general I think using com.sun packages should be avoided as they might
not be available in all VMs.

Cheers

Re: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 4/4/12 12:59 , David G. wrote:
> So there is no way to make a truly "portable" osgi bundle that uses
> the com.sun.crypto packages? By truly portable I mean installable via
> OBR without requiring a restart of the container?

Using the framework fragment doesn't require restarting the container...

-> richard

RE: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by "Bond, Tim" <Ti...@softwareag.com>.
Not sure what JDK you are running but the SunJCE (or IBMJCE) is normally
installed by default.  Providers are typically statically configured in
the java.security file in jre/lib/security/java.security file.  Should
be no need to add providers dynamically.

#
# List of providers and their preference orders (see above):
#
security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=sun.security.rsa.SunRsaSign
security.provider.3=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.4=com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE
 . . .

-- Tim

Posted by "David G." <da...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

I got back and looked at my code - I'm using javax.crypto.Mac, but the problem is get getInstance("HmacSHA1") it can't find the provider, which i believe, means i need to add a provider like so:

 java.security.Security.addProvider(new com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE());

the reference to the SunJCE() is what i need from com.sun.

Re: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by "David G." <da...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

RE: using com.sun.* in bundles

Re: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM, David G. <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So there is no way to make a truly "portable" osgi bundle that uses
> the com.sun.crypto packages? By truly portable I mean installable via
> OBR without requiring a restart of the container?

Apart from the fact that it might not run on all VMs the approach with the
fragment bundle is portable as it doesn't require changing the
configuration of the OSGi environment.

> Any thoughts off the top of your head if there is another lib i can
> include/import that provides HMAC encryption?

I would check bouncycastle,  the package org.bouncycastle.crypto.macs looks
promising.

Reto

Re: using com.sun.* in bundles

Posted by "David G." <da...@gmail.com>.