Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by wild_oscar <mi...@almeida.at> on 2007/10/01 20:09:35 UTC

Tomcat 6 and Permgen increase with redeployments

Although I've read a lot in the past week about Permgen and the problems of
some libs, I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem.

I'm running Tomcat 6 and an application with (among others):

- Struts 2
- Hibernate
- Tiles 2
- Log4j
- ant

Redeployment with ant (or the tomcat manager) makes the permgen space grow
and it doesn't shrink.

I'm using Jprofiler to figure out what's wrong. I recorded allocation data,
deployed the application, stopped recording and undeployed. I made GC
collect, well, the garbage, and Permgen free space did not increase.

I seem to be stuck with a lot of log4j classes and hibernate classes.

I've pushed the Postgresql driver to the container's /lib. I've also tried
pushing log4j and commons-logging there as well.

Waiting some time does not solve the problem as well. Permgen space will not
decrease.

As for hibernate, I've implemented a static SessionFactory, which I close in
the destroy() method of my servletcontextlistener.

Can anyone pinpoint the probable cause, solution or way to tackle this
problem? Increasing the size of the Permgen only postpones the problem: at
the end of a workday it'll be full, after a dozen redeployments...

Re: Tomcat 6 and Permgen increase with redeployments

Posted by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com>.
Hi,

    There is a leak in commons pool in version 6 that prevents
WebappClassLoader from being garbage collected

    http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg29820.html

    Anyway, you may be encountering memory leaks of you own, and nothing
can replace memory profiling to find your offending classes. This link
may be an introduction to memory leaks,

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

    Diego

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
wild_oscar wrote:
> Can anyone pinpoint the probable cause, solution or way to tackle this
> problem? Increasing the size of the Permgen only postpones the problem: at
> the end of a workday it'll be full, after a dozen redeployments...

Get a profiler. I use YourKit.

Mark