Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/08/31 12:10:06 UTC

Allowing Envars

As much I don't particularly like them, I've seen so many builds of
late using envars that I don't think we can turn them off in 2.1.x
after people have invested in builds that use them. Tonight Vlad and
I were working on the IDEA integration and there are a few issues
logged that fail because envars are not currently processed in trunk.

I think we have to live with them now.

If no one objects I will plan to turn them back on.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Allowing Envars

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 31/08/2007, at 8:43 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 31 Aug 07, at 3:18 AM 31 Aug 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Are they still present in recent versions of 2.0.x?
>>

> Yup.

I'm fine with them remaining through 2.1.x then. Would be best to
isolate the code that grabs them in the embedder, if it isn't already
(I assume it's the same as with the sys props).

- Brett

Re: Allowing Envars

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Allowing Envars

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Allowing Envars

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 31 Aug 07, at 3:38 AM 31 Aug 07, Graham Leggett wrote:

> On Fri, August 31, 2007 12:10 pm, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> As much I don't particularly like them, I've seen so many builds of
>> late using envars that I don't think we can turn them off in 2.1.x
>> after people have invested in builds that use them. Tonight Vlad and
>> I were working on the IDEA integration and there are a few issues
>> logged that fail because envars are not currently processed in trunk.
>>
>> I think we have to live with them now.
>>
>> If no one objects I will plan to turn them back on.
>
> For the history of what happened when Sun tried to remove support for
> environment variables see this:
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4199068
>
> Due to overwhelming protest Sun eventually reversed their decision
> and put
> environment variables back in.

I understand after looking at some heavy use and really it would be
quite painful to stop using them. I don't think they lend toward
stability but they are used now. So I think being practical and not
causing undo grief trumps theoretical purity.

Re: Allowing Envars

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.