Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <ie...@netdava.com> on 2017/05/21 00:14:09 UTC

feedback + missing karaf feature for sling with RDBDocumentStore?

Hello,

I'm evaluating Sling to use as a CMS in our project. Since I'm planning
to use Karaf as the foundation I decidede to test that out.

I've managed to build and install a running Sling instance with oak tar
backend and played a bit with Composum.

Things worked fine so far, great job. e are planning to deploy Sling
with the RDBDocumentStore since we don't have Mongo experience and I
would not like to complicate the deployment. We also have established
procedures on how to backup and maintain a PostgreSQL database.

However I have noticed that the Karaf features.xml file is missing a
feature to deploy Sling with RDBDocumentStore backend.

Is this a simple omission or are there other reasons why this is not
provided? I'll be able to help build a feature for this case and
contribute it to Sling if it's just an omission. I may need some
guidance and code feedback.

Some other things I have noticed is that the features are not documented
and you don't know which features to install, without having experience
with the project.

Thanks,

Re: feedback + missing karaf feature for sling with RDBDocumentStore?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:
> ...A sample feature using RDBDocumentStore is planned though...

As usual, contributions of such things are welcome, so Ioan if you
create such a feature for your own purposes feel free to suggest it as
a Sling sample contribution.

-Bertrand

Re: feedback + missing karaf feature for sling with RDBDocumentStore?

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Sunday 21 May 2017 03:14:09 Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I'm evaluating Sling to use as a CMS in our project. Since I'm planning
> to use Karaf as the foundation I decidede to test that out.
>
> I've managed to build and install a running Sling instance with oak tar
> backend and played a bit with Composum.
>
> Things worked fine so far, great job. e are planning to deploy Sling
> with the RDBDocumentStore since we don't have Mongo experience and I
> would not like to complicate the deployment. We also have established
> procedures on how to backup and maintain a PostgreSQL database.
>
> However I have noticed that the Karaf features.xml file is missing a
> feature to deploy Sling with RDBDocumentStore backend.
>
> Is this a simple omission or are there other reasons why this is not
> provided? I'll be able to help build a feature for this case and
> contribute it to Sling if it's just an omission. I may need some
> guidance and code feedback.
>
> Some other things I have noticed is that the features are not documented
> and you don't know which features to install, without having experience
> with the project.

you should start with sling-launchpad-oak-tar when having no experience with
Sling.

RDBDocumentStore requires different configurations per RDBMS/driver and it
doesn't make sense to even add features for each supported system – you will
have to adjust those configurations for production anyway (same for Oak/Tar
and Oak/Mongo). A sample feature using RDBDocumentStore is planned though.

You should create your own sling-launchpad-oak-* feature based on sling-
launchpad-oak or even recreate that one if you are not sastisfied with its
configurations.

The feature names should speak for themselves – in case of doubt look at the
documentation of their bundles at
http://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles.html

Regards,
O.