Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by George Coles <gc...@novell.com> on 2003/02/28 04:54:51 UTC

parsing, transformation issues - tomcat 4.1.x standard taglibs v 1.0.1

Hello,
     I am just getting started with JSTL, and I have run into some
pretty basic issues parsing and transforming XML files accessed via url
in Tomcat. I am unable to parse any xml files I hvae tried to read from
urls. This message is typical:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Content is not allowed in prolog.

I have tried using c:import using the charEncoding attribute to force
the reader to use the char encoding that is declared in the xml file,
which in most cases is UTF-8, and I have also tried plugging the url
directly into the xml attribute of x:parse to see if that tag handles
the IO any better.

I have seen some threads on various discussion groups regarding UTF-8
BOMs bombing out some parsers, but I am a)not sure which parser this
package thinks it's using or b) how to change that. I have tried
deleting all crimson jars and replacing everything with Xalan2 distro
jars (xlan.jar,xerces.jar, xml-apis.jar ) but this is not helping. I
would have thought that the app would just use any JAXP-compliant parser
was closest at hand. I do not see any JAXP-related properties having
been defined in the system.properties for the JVM.

At any rate, I have tried xml files from various sources, like xml.txt
from the examples/xml directory in tomcat, but the same result.

I am using Tomcat 4.1.18, with JDK 1.3.1. Any suggestions would be very
much appreciated.

thx
George Coles