Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Krusch, Chris" <ch...@ubc.ca> on 2022/03/31 17:03:14 UTC

ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connections - lots of messages generated.

I noticed while working with our brokers recently that lots of messages are being enqueued to the ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection Topic - an average of 214,000 per day....

Our messaging applications appear to be working fine, and there's no flood of associated error messages in the ActiveMQ logs - though there are "Transport Connection to tcp//??.??.??.??:port failed: java.io.EOFException" messages for two connecting servers occurring about once every 2 minutes (about 700 per day).

Concerned there may be some underlying problem with the way some connections are established - maybe issues with connection pools on connecting servers.

Has anyone else noted this behavior?
Is that type of number normal?
Can anyone recommend a simple way to capture and view some of the advisory messages being issued?

Any guidance appreciated...

Chris Krusch
Systems Architect
The University of British Columbia

FW: ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connections - lots of messages generated.

Posted by "Krusch, Chris" <ch...@ubc.ca>.
    To close the loop on this - the higher connection rate seems to be related to our use of JBoss, the active MQ resource adapter, and use of XA transactions:

    https://issues.redhat.com/browse/ENTMQ-2087
    https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3023001

    Chris

    On 2022-03-31, 12:17 PM, "Krusch, Chris" <ch...@ubc.ca> wrote:

        Thanks Matt

        Our recommendation to our application teams is to always use connection pools.  Also, the number of messages enqueued to ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection is order of magnitudes higher than the number of messages enqueued to any topics or queues.

        Example - Less than 300 messages have been enqueued on our verf broker since last restart yesterday morning, but there's 590,222 connection advisory messages.

        Suspect I'll have to somehow get a look at the advisory messages to really understand what's going on...

        Chris

        On 2022-03-31, 11:32 AM, "Matt Pavlovich" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

            [CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

            Hello Chris-

            Sounds like some apps are connecting+sending 1 message+disconnecting. Spring JMS + using transactions without a connection pool is usually the culprit

            As a best practice-- apps should use connection pool as a best practice (just like in the database world).

            Thanks,
            Matt Pavlovich

Re: ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connections - lots of messages generated.

    [CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello Chris-