Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov> on 2013/07/11 01:37:55 UTC

temporarily running a cassandra side by side in production

We have a 12 node production cluster and a 4 node QA cluster.  We are starting to think we are going to try to run a side by side cassandra instance in production while we map/reduce from one cassandra into the new instance.  We are intending to do something like this

Modify all ports in cassandra.yaml and the jmx port in cassandra-env.sh, 7000, 7001, 9160, 9042, and cassandra-env 7199.

Can I assume a cassandra instance will not only bind to the new ports when I change these values but will talk to the other cassandra nodes on those same ports as well such that this cassandra instance is completely independent of my other cassandra instance?

Are there other gotchas that I have to be aware of?

(we are refactoring our model into a new faster model that we tested in QA with live data as well as moving randompartitioner to murmur)

Thanks,
Dean

Re: temporarily running a cassandra side by side in production

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
Heh, oops, yes, We have 12 nodes and are trying to run 2 instances of cassandra on those 12 nodes.  So far, in QA this appears to be working.  I like clustername change idea as a just in case so I will definitely be doing that one.
Thanks,
Dean

From: aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>>
Date: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:20 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: temporarily running a cassandra side by side in production

 We are starting to think we are going to try to run a side by side cassandra instance in production while we map/reduce from one cassandra into the new instance.
What do you mean by "side-by-side" ?

Can I assume a cassandra instance will not only bind to the new ports when I change these values but will talk to the other cassandra nodes on those same ports as well such that this cassandra instance is completely independent of my other cassandra instance?
Not sure what you mean, but all nodes in the same cluster must be configured with the same storage port.
The best way to ensure clusters to not interfere with each other is to have different seed lists and different cluster names.

Are there other gotchas that I have to be aware of?
I'm not sure what you are attempting to do.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand