Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2009/10/12 14:00:57 UTC

Proposal for a new NOTICE file

After reviewing the latest framework and HTTP Service releases, I
realize that pretty much all of our projects both "include" and "use"
Apache developed software (if nothing else, all projects depend on Maven
to build). It seems silly to list Apache under both "include" and "use",
especially since the main point of the NOTICE file is for third-party
notices.

I want to propose that we change our NOTICE file template to factor out
the Apache notice at the top and only use the remaining sections for
third-party notices; for example, here is a new NOTICE file for framework:

     Apache Felix Framework
     Copyright 2009 The Apache Software Foundation

     This project was developed at the Apache Software Foundation
     (http://www.apache.org) and may have dependencies on other
     Apache projects licensed under Apache License 2.0.

     I. Included Third-Party Software

     The OSGi Alliance (http://www.osgi.org/).
     Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2000, 2009).
     Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.

     II. Used Third-Party Software

     This product uses software developed at
     The OSGi Alliance (http://www.osgi.org/).
     Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2000, 2009).
     Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.

     This product uses software developed at
     The Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org)
     Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.

     III. Overall License Summary
     - Apache License 2.0

To be clear, the new boilerplate would be:

     Apache Felix AAA
     Copyright 2009 The Apache Software Foundation

     This software was developed at the Apache Software Foundation
     (http://www.apache.org) and may have dependencies on other
     Apache software licensed under Apache License 2.0.

     I. Included Third-Party Software

     BBB

     II. Used Third-Party Software

     CCC

     III. Overall License Summary
     - Apache License 2.0
     - DDD

Where BBB and CCC would only reference third-party dependencies and DDD
would list their licenses.

What do you think?

-> richard

Re: Proposal for a new NOTICE file

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/12/09 14:51, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> In general I'm +1, with one exception :)
>
>>      This software was developed at the Apache Software Foundation
>>      (http://www.apache.org) and may have dependencies on other
>>      Apache software licensed under Apache License 2.0.
>>
> While the above sentence is true, I personally would read it that the
> project does not know if they have dependencies to other Apache
> software (so for me if someone says "may" I conclude that he doesn't
> know) :) Maybe that's just me not being a native speaker?

It does say that because it is general to catch both cases. Your below
sentence only captures the "includes" case, not the "uses" case.
However, I don't care what the template is precisely, I just want to
simplify it.

-> richard

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Proposal for a new NOTICE file

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Seems fine to me

- R

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Sounds pretty good to me. So, should we move forward with it?

-> richard

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/12/09 15:03, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard S. Hall schrieb:
>
>> Oops, let me edit that:
>>
>> If we ARE allowed to do it, then I'd rather have one file so we don't
>> have to determine whether we need to distinguish between the two cases
>> and have to maintain additional artifacts. For me, this has nothing to
>> do with courtesy, it has to do with easing the maintenance.
>>
> Point is that the NOTICE file must not be removed by downstream
> re-bundlers (unless a dependency referred to is removed).
>
> Also there is some stuff we include (for example the icons used in the
> web console) where we have to attribute to the source.
>
> And there is other stuff, where this is not required at all. And
> generally, if we don't need to attribute, we should not (this is the
> simplest of all cases ;-) ).
>
> So, if we attribute something which is not required to be attributed, it
> is IMHO a question of courtesy (and I am all for attributing everything
> we include, don't get me wrong).
>
> How about this :
>
>    * Everything we include is added to the README file
>    * If something needs attribution it is also added to the NOTICE
>      file
>
> This is probably as simple as it can get

Not quite. As simple as it gets is we attribute everything in the NOTICE
file...one single file for all use cases, no need to distinguish, no
multiple artifacts to maintain.

>> However, if we are NOT allowed to do so, then we have no choice.
>>
> My understanding is that we are probably NOT allowed ;-)

Well, reading the issue Bertrand references it is not clear. From my

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Oops, let me edit that:

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Thanks for bringing this up (again). The problem I have had for some
> time now, is that our NOTICE files are not really consistent with the
> legal intent of the NOTICE files....

FWIW, there's been some discussion about this recently at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-62, which includes
pointers to some related discussions threads.

-Bertrand

Re: Proposal for a new NOTICE file

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
One thing that might be worth considering if we go this way is to
leverage the maven plugin that has been written for the generation of
those legal files.  The maven-remote-resources-plugin is used in most
Apache projects i've dealt with.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Proposal for a new NOTICE file

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
FYI, I created a wiki page for the NOTICE file template here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/NOTICE+file+template+%28PROPOSED%29

Maybe there is a more appropriate place for it on the wiki, but for now
it is just under the developer documentation section.

Feel free to expand on the page with additional clarifications and notes.

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/12/09 14:06, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Sounds good.
>
> I'd like to have on point clarified though.  What's the intent for use
> / include wrt to a binary jar, a source assembly (ready to build), a
> binary assembly (composed of multiple bundles like the karaf one), a
> source jar (only the source for the jar with no build system), and a
> javadoc jar (only contains the javadoc) ?
> When reviewing all the license / notices files for karaf, it was not
> always clear to me what I should put in all those cases.

I agree, it can get confusing.

 From my point of view, we should try to only have one NOTICE file for

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.