Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/28 09:21:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] : PIP 47: Time Based Release Plan For Apache Pulsar

Hi all committers:

It has been more than two months since the 2.4.1 release.  But we don't have an accurate time about when we release the next version. We can only choose to extend the 2.4.2 Milestone.

I am thinking of changing the release plan/schedule to a more time-based
mechanism what other projects (like Kafka, Flink, Bookkeeper) are doing:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan>

Some of the benefits are documented in their wikis (also copied them in the email for easy to read).

1. A quicker feedback cycle and users can benefit from features shipped quicker
2. Predictability for contributors and users:
    a. Developers and reviewers can decide in advance what release they are aiming for with specific features.
    b. If a feature misses a release we have a good idea of when it will show up.
    c. Users know when to expect their features
3. Transparency - There will be a published cut-off date (AKA feature freeze) for the release and people will know about it in advance. Hopefully this will remove the contention around which features make it.
4. Quality - we've seen issues pop up in release candidates due to last-minute features that didn't have proper time to bake in. More time between feature freeze and release will let us test more, document more and resolve more issues.

The contents of the PIP are as follows:

 https://gist.github.com/wolfstudy/5a06d7b4bc27ac0d232ec6673f10aa0c <https://gist.github.com/wolfstudy/5a06d7b4bc27ac0d232ec6673f10aa0c>

Re: [DISCUSS] : PIP 47: Time Based Release Plan For Apache Pulsar

Posted by xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com>.
> Adopting a plan from other popular projects like Kafka and Flink is a good
starting point! Can you add the PIP to pulsar wiki page?

Sure, thanks Sijie work for this, will add the PIP to pulsar wiki page.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Xiaolong,

Posted by xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone:

This PIP proposal seems to be no objection, I will re-initiate a new vote.

--

Thanks
Xiaolong Ran

Posted by xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone:

Posted by Guangning E <eg...@gmail.com>.
Looks very good, which can make our release process more standardized.

Thanks,
Guangning

xiaolong ran <ra...@gmail.com> 于2019年10月28日周一 下午5:21写道: