Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chuck Amadi <ch...@breconbeacons.org> on 2001/07/10 17:59:13 UTC

Java files won't compile- compilation errors/utlise Ant's

Excuse me 4 mailing u direct. I have just seconded a linux box for home
use as well as my home windox box is practically full). Thus as per your
mail u mentioned i should try and compile it via the command line(ant
prferrably) that would give you sufficient data to work with.

Thus it may download netbeans and tomcat onto my linux box or can i just
get on with it with the those packages already on my window box.Hence i
assume that within windows i'll be utilising ms-dos prompt once i switch
dir to my java_ home &  add ANT_HOME.to my autoexec.bat path.`

1) Can i crack on with netbeans on my window box((ant 1.3 ) or do i need
to download the optional .jar files that contain the implemetation of
ANT's <style> command i assume i do.
as if the case i will need to install netbeans,tomcat & ant onto the
linux box. uh oh. ( Just on converted from a Bill-gatesfile 2 open
community) hence still learning the ssh commands.

Thus i hope it is easily grasped .
Cheers for your help- Chuckie

Sorry 4 keeping on but i've lost a lot of ground due to my
constuctivness and petulence .

--
The views expressed by the sender of this message don't
necessarily represent those of Brecon Beacons National Park

Re: Java files won't compile- compilation errors/utlise Ant's

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Calvin Yu wrote:

> [snip]
> I don't think that you'll need optional.jar, as the <style> tag is not an
> optional tag.  However, you will need xalan.jar (and maybe xerces.jar) if
> they're not in <ant.home>/lib already.
> [snip]

My experience with Ant was that optional.jar *was* still necessary to run
the <style> tag.  Even though <style> is documented as a "built in" tag,
the TraXLiason class (among others) is only defined in optional.jar so it
still failed for me without optional.jar installed.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Java files won't compile- compilation errors/utlise Ant's

Posted by Calvin Yu <ca...@mindspring.com>.
I'm not sure why you'll need to download netbeans, but instead of tomcat you
can get servlet.jar from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.2.2/bin/jakarta-s
ervletapi-3.2.2.zip

I don't think that you'll need optional.jar, as the <style> tag is not an
optional tag.  However, you will need xalan.jar (and maybe xerces.jar) if
they're not in <ant.home>/lib already.

If you want to figure the problem out quickly, you can just try javac from
the command line.  However, Ant is a good thing to know in the long run.

Calvin